Tele or Strato to complement a Single Cut guitar

PelayoSan
PelayoSan
07/20/2020 7:18 am

Hi there,

I am a beginner player who owns a Single Cut guitar with humbuckers and now I am thinking about getting a budget second guitar. What would be a better choice to cover as many genres and sounds as possible together with the SC? A Tele or a Strat?

Thanks!

# 1
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
08/14/2020 2:16 am

tough one. Both are great and can cover a wide range of music.

There are some excellent YouTube videos that compare the two.

if possible, see if you can get to a local guitar shop that has both in stock. If you have to make an appointment, do so.

[br]

Originally Posted by: PelayoSan

Hi there,

I am a beginner player who owns a Single Cut guitar with humbuckers and now I am thinking about getting a budget second guitar. What would be a better choice to cover as many genres and sounds as possible together with the SC? A Tele or a Strat?

Thanks!

2021 Iris CH

2021 G&L ASAT Classic Tribute

# 2
PelayoSan
PelayoSan
08/24/2020 10:49 pm

It makes sense, I will try them and decide. Thanks!

Originally Posted by: Sasha-B

tough one. Both are great and can cover a wide range of music.

There are some excellent YouTube videos that compare the two.

if possible, see if you can get to a local guitar shop that has both in stock. If you have to make an appointment, do so.

Hi there,

Thanks!

# 3
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
08/25/2020 2:06 am

[p]

Depends where your primary musical interest lies IMV. Let that be your guide/decider.

I have all those instrument type/muscial style bases covered now, so this is my personal view in hindsight after playing for 2½ years with Guitar Tricks.

1. Most versatile in my book is a coil splittable HSS Strat. If I had to have just a first or single electric guitar, that'd be it. It was for me, and I'd buy exactly the same again without any misplaced 'owner pride'.

2. Adding a second guitar knowing what I know now, for me, #2 would definitely be a Tele. A. because the humbucker in the Strat can cope adequately with Classic Rock and most genres given any decent amp, and B. because the standard Tele style tone and config is arguably my favourite instrument to play all round. This is well worth a watch for perspective as is this to remove all doubt.

3. After that I'd add a short scale double humbucker fitted double cutaway instrument or double P90 instrument to the inventory, choice between those dependent upon where you want to go musically.

And of course, from there one can keep going ad infinitum, but those first two will cover a lot of territory. As you already have the humbucker territory covered, conventional Tele perhaps, but try it first. They're just a comfortable fit literally and figuratively for me. Mightn't be for you?

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.