Synergy Preamp System w/Audiophile Power Amp...

lavanish
lavanish
08/27/2020 3:25 am

I am using the synergy modular preamp systm with a 13 watt audiophile tube amp that someone gave me for my birtyday. I have the Fender Tweed and Friedman BE/BB preamp cartrages to play with for different sounds. The audiophile tube amp is going into a 2x12 cab with two electrovoice 12 EL’s

Am I missing out by not using a typcl guitar amp? Do Audiophile amps rob me of anything in this application?

Will a guitar pwr amp offer different tones or capabilities?

Should I still be able to get the same type of overdrive from cranking the small power amp? Are the EVL 12L's too powerful for such a small amp?

This is just for home use btw.

# 1
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
08/27/2020 8:52 pm

Wow -- this one is far beyond me! I simply use a Fractal Axe-FX, but I am hoping someone out there in the forum will have some ideas for you. Sounds like some fancy stuff you've got! Swappable modules... I'll have to look it up!

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 2
lavanish
lavanish
08/27/2020 9:41 pm
Originally Posted by: Carl King

Wow -- this one is far beyond me! I simply use a Fractal Axe-FX, but I am hoping someone out there in the forum will have some ideas for you. Sounds like some fancy stuff you've got! Swappable modules... I'll have to look it up!

-Carl.

Carl, below is a Link. I hope we are able to post links to Syergy's website.

You can get licensed preamps made by the actual boutique amp designers like Stephen Fryette and Bob Friedman, etc. They also have Fender and Marshall style preamps that you can change out like video game cartrages. It is really neat stuff. All tube and super versatile. I just hooked it up to my small tube power amp for the power stage and it seems to work great. I am just wondering if I'm missing out on tone coloring, etc. by not using a typical guitar power amp. Maybe there really is no difference. Hoping someone on here can offer some insight.

http://synergyamps.com/shop/syn-modules

Mark.

# 3
Herman10
Herman10
08/28/2020 12:08 am

Just my 5 cents, audio amps are designed to have a straight frequency range from 40Hz to about 15000Hz to get the label" Hifi", guitar amps are designed to amplifie some frequencies more then others so everything except " hifi " so I think your tone with the audiofile will be a little to much flat as oposed to playing through a guitar amp and so you loose the coloration from that.

# 4
lavanish
lavanish
08/28/2020 4:31 pm

Are there different tone stacks in the power amp or just in the preamp stage? I thought my Synergy would take care of the preamp tone coloring.

# 5
Herman10
Herman10
08/28/2020 11:45 pm

if you play with the preamp plugged in to the effects return/ poweramp inn then you do get different tones depending on the amp and speaker cabinet you use, even a different brand of speakers in the cabinet can give you a different tone.

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.