Hi everyone!

mihawkeye
Full Access
mihawkeye
Full Access
05/03/2019 6:55 pm

I've owned a few guitars over the years, the first one being when I was 7 years old. I haven't ever really had a good guitar, but I guess they've all been playable. Trouble is, that's just an assumption, since I've never actually learned how to play anything beyond a few chords when my uncle and I would get together and play and sing together in his living room. That was 35+ years ago.

I've taken lessons, or at least tried, but it all came to naught when it came time to practice. It just never felt like I was accomplishing anything, so I grew bored and the guitar went back in the closet for a few more years.

A few months ago I found out I needed to have total knee replacement surgery, and figured that this could be an excellent time to give it one last try, to see if I could teach my fingers anything after all. (I know they're good for some things; I'm a highly accomplished woodworker and furniture maker.)

I had surgery last Tuesday and started GT on Wednesday. I'm partway through Anders' Blues Style Part 1, and Lisa's Fundamentals were great to get me pointed in the right direction. It turns out I had learned more than I was giving myself credit for; many of the things Lisa taught came back to me in a flash.

I love the way the site is laid out, the way you can hear the progress you're making as you go. Having learned a few blues chords and riffs, I know it's just a matter of practice, going back to fundamentals when necessary, and working on those calluses!

I'm having a blast so far!

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
05/03/2019 8:04 pm

Hello Hawk!

Good luck sir.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/04/2019 4:12 pm

So glad you are having a blast!!!!! Congrats!

-Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 3
tmiller014
Full Access
tmiller014
Full Access
05/05/2019 10:06 pm

When using the magic L for power chords, I find it much easider to barre the 4th and 5th strings with my 3rd finger. (Acoustic w/ metal strings) Any comment.

Tom

# 4
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/07/2019 1:20 pm

Hi Tom,

That’s cool that your third finger is up for the job.

And, I hope you keep the idea of using your first finger for the job on your “works-in-progress” list. Further on down the line, when it comes to getting to one chord from another chord in the context and flow of a song, there may be advantages to being able to build the chord in the more traditional way. See if you can have both methods end up in your repertoire!

have fun -Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 5
Blakeney8
Full Access
Blakeney8
Full Access
05/15/2019 1:34 am

Your story is almost the same as mine. I had never touched a guitar until I was 62 and had double knee replacement surgery. I started playing to keep my mind and hands occupied during my 9 month rehab.I decided to give GT a try. Lisa's lessons sold me and I have been here since, My advice would be to be patient with your lessons, find something that you like to do with your guitar just for fun, and remember it's the long run......Have Fun!!

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.