Starting again

dbramsey
Full Access
dbramsey
Full Access
07/03/2019 3:15 pm

Hi,

I signed up on Guitar Tricks awhile back, but had to give up the guitar because of a hand injury. I am now getting back to learning. My problem is the injury to my picking hand. It is very painful to use a pick. I asked my physical therapist about, and he said that I should try to avoid using a pick. Any way, the reason I want to learn guitar is to fingerpick. Should I try to go thru the Fundamentl courses using my fingers, or go thru Lisa's Fingerpicking Course? I do know some basic chord shapes, just have to work on chord changes.

Thanks,

David

# 1
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/03/2019 4:05 pm

Hi David,

So sorry about your injury, but good for you for keeping going with your music!

Definitely check out the fingerpicking course, and also, if it is not physically uncomfortable for you, you can strum (as in the Fundamentals Courses) with your thumb.

You might consider taking a look at Fred Kelly delrin picks, and get one large enough for your thumb. It replicates a nice pick-sounding thumbnail.

Hope this helps!

-Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 2
dbramsey
Full Access
dbramsey
Full Access
07/06/2019 1:58 pm
Originally Posted by: LisaMcC

Hi David,

So sorry about your injury, but good for you for keeping going with your music!

Definitely check out the fingerpicking course, and also, if it is not physically uncomfortable for you, you can strum (as in the Fundamentals Courses) with your thumb.

You might consider taking a look at Fred Kelly delrin picks, and get one large enough for your thumb. It replicates a nice pick-sounding thumbnail.

Hope this helps!

-Lisa

Hi Lisa,

thanks for the reply. I looked into the Fred Kelly thumb picks, I ordered a few. Any advice on using one for the Fundamental 1 course? Tips on strumming, or is that something that I will just have to work out on my own?

thanks,

David

# 3
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/07/2019 2:00 pm

Give the picks a try, with a spirit of exploration and experimentation. Let me know what you discover, after giving it some time.

Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 4
lgherb
lgherb
07/08/2019 2:00 am

David,

Keep the faith and don't get discouraged.

I am on my 3rd try learning the guitar (which I am resolved to finally get past a 'beginner' stage).

20 years ago, I was living in Denver andn started my 2nd try to learn guitar. About 4 weeks into group lessons back then I was riding my bicycle with a friend and had a bad wipeout that caused me to flip over my handlebars and break my ring finger on my fretting hand.

Unfortunately, the ER did not set my finger 100% correctly and it rotates slightly slightly toward my middle finger. This makes that finger to tend to be further behind the fret than it naturally would be and as a result some chords are challenging and some scales have notes that buzz if I am not careful.

I made the mistake 20 years ago in thinking that I should not pursue learning guitar as a result. I'm ashamed now to admit that I quit.

Don't get dejected.

Luckily, guitar kept tapping me on the shoulder and whispering in my ear in those dream moments before I'd awake to remind me that I had unfinished business.

Always listen to your doctors and your PTs and OTs with regards to your rehab and don't push the limits if you are in pain. Hopefully fingerstyle playing won't be as bad for you as flat picking sounds like it is.

However, keep the flame of love for guitar burning.

The music world is full of great contributors who had to overcome limitations far greater than my twisted finger.

I'd love to read one day about a guy named David who pioneered his own playing style to overcome a physical obstacle thrown his way.

# 5
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/08/2019 1:51 pm

The great Django Reinhardt, "Father of Gypsy Jazz Guitar", only has the use of 2 of his fingers on his left hand due to a burn injury when he was young.

Beethoven was deaf!

People find a way to get to the music they love.....

- Lisa

Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.