Hello nice to see a forum here.

mattbod
mattbod
07/06/2019 7:15 pm

Just so say hello. I am a newbie ans taking my first steps with guitar at the age of 40. I am Matt from UK and am a PhD law student. Learning to play guitar to give me a new challenge outside study. I am musical but am a piano and organ player primarily (with a little blues harmomica too). I always baulked at learning guitar as left handed but am learning right handed and does not seem to be a big issue. I am enjoying course and hope to share progress with you guys. The only thing I am having trouble with is keeping index finger down on the string on “spider fingers” exercise. It wants to keep flying off. I guess it is all about developing strength and muscle memory. Guitar I got was Epiphone DR 100 btw. It’s a big guitar but worth it for the beefy sound. I’d know that if i’d got a starter guitar with a poor flat tone i’d not last the course. Anyway that’s me. I hope i can draw on some mutual support here.

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
07/06/2019 9:21 pm

Hello Matt,

Good luck on your progress!

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
billsud
billsud
07/06/2019 10:01 pm

Good luck Matt from another newb. 75 and starting over.

# 3
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
07/06/2019 10:34 pm

Hey, good luck Bill! That's awesome.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 4
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/08/2019 1:53 pm

Welcome, mbodycombe!

Great decision to buy yourself a nice guitar. I get so frustrated on behalf of folks who think they're better off learning on a cheap guitar - because those poor folks end up having to fight the instrument to get it to sound like anything decent. And then get discouraged....

YOU did the right thing!

Have a great time. -Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 5
mattbod
mattbod
07/10/2019 5:16 pm

Lisa thanks for the response I am loving your lessons: you have such a calm pleasant and methodical approach. I reckon your irl students are very lucky. Yeah I did my research and people said the Epiphone D100 was a nice solid starter guitar with a nice tone that will encourage you to play it and would not break the bank. I am an experienced pianist and harmonica player and I also dispair at people who buy their kids or themselves a cheapo electronic of an ancient upright that is on its way out. To encourage someone to practice they have to have something that sounds and feels nice. It's even worse with the harmonica. People buy el cheapo for $5 for something that leaks air everywhere and then wonder why they are out of puff after playing :/

Love and Greetz from England.

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.