would you submerse yourself if you had 4 weeks

thinguyenhalu
thinguyenhalu
07/11/2019 10:32 am

Hello community,

I'm a 48yr old begginer. Never took a music class of any sort ever in my life. Started guitar on April 1st, 2019 in a once a week group class that will soon end. I will begin the Level 1 Guitar Fundamentals course right after that ends at begining of June.

I am interested in really focusing my attention on learning chords, the fretboard and maybe dip into the begining of scales.

My question is How would you submerse yourself in learning these things if you had 4 weeks where you didn't have to work?

How would you structure a practice schedule for your day?

Would it be wise to just focus the entire time on learning chords?

Would it be a good idea to focus on a couple of things at different times of the day as if i were in school (chords in the morning, fretboard in the afternoon, scales at night)?

I'm interested and open to hearing ideas and view points as I start out on my journey as a guitar player.

Thank you

[u]Jin[/u]

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
07/11/2019 12:46 pm

Hi Jin

here is an earlier post from another thread. And to put things in context, I am 56, so when I speak about the music I would be refering to essentially stuff from the '70s.

Good luck and hope you keep at it. I am having a great time.

"Hi there.

I don't mind sharing my outline .

My objective has always been to be able to just pick up a guitar and jam with other players regardless of genre. Meaning blues, rock, country. Mainstream stuff I guess that most people around here play and I grew up listening to.

I want to be able to play along to my favorite tunes .

I would like to be able to grasp the basic concepts of music theory so I had a better idea of how it all comes together.

So my practice outline consists of what I would describe as technical (notes, scales, chords, legato, bends, pull offs, etc...). Then I practice a song. That's the fun bit when it comes together and I can jam with band. The songs I learn are the songs I listen to.

I use 2 teaching services. Guitar tricks and Truefire. I plan my practice session a day ahead and keep learning more and more as time goes on.

Hope this helps."

Original Thread Here

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/12/2019 1:14 pm

Hi Jin,

It sounds like you've got the right idea in this quote from your post:

"Would it be a good idea to focus on a couple of things at different times of the day as if i were in school (chords in the morning, fretboard in the afternoon, scales at night)?"

Yes, think it out like a schoolteacher would. Some of this, some of that, but all advancing in a parallel manner as your month moves along.

I encourge you to add some songs to the practice routine as well, as that is where the music really starts to come together - and besides, they're fun!

-Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.