Bad habits and bad attitude Re beginner

studiovape0
studiovape0
09/15/2019 11:06 pm

Hello everyone. I’ve been playing on and off for about 25 years. I’ve had a few lessons and self taught a lot in that time, but always fell short of really getting to far.

Fretting hand /thumb pain sore neck/shoulder and other setbacks when I practiced hard always made me feel like I just wasn’t cut out for it.

Having another go now, “forcing” a more relaxed technique and posture this time.

also trying to play for shorter spells and do some very day.

Struggleing to find a good path through the lessons that doesn’t bore me but catches any basics I might have missed etc.

anyway looking forward to the newish journey.

# 1
Morpeli
Morpeli
09/16/2019 12:30 am

Good luck! Maybe try breathing from the stomach yoga style...that might help!

Or try this book. A lot of people seem to like it:

https://www.guitarprinciples.com/shop/the-principles-of-correct-practice-for-guitarhard-copy-p-1.html

I just joined the website a week or so ago. I 'm really liking the song lessons!

Regards

Morgan

# 2
studiovape0
studiovape0
09/17/2019 2:37 am
Originally Posted by: Morpeli

Good luck! Maybe try breathing from the stomach yoga style...that might help!

Or try this book. A lot of people seem to like it:

https://www.guitarprinciples.com/shop/the-principles-of-correct-practice-for-guitarhard-copy-p-1.html

I just joined the website a week or so ago. I 'm really liking the song lessons!

Regards

Morgan

thanks for your advice and support, checked out the Principles and bought the book and level one course, looks promising:)

# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
09/17/2019 1:45 pm
Originally Posted by: studiovape0

Hello everyone. I’ve been playing on and off for about 25 years. I’ve had a few lessons and self taught a lot in that time, but always fell short of really getting to far.

Fretting hand /thumb pain sore neck/shoulder and other setbacks when I practiced hard always made me feel like I just wasn’t cut out for it.

Having another go now, “forcing” a more relaxed technique and posture this time.

also trying to play for shorter spells and do some very day.

Struggleing to find a good path through the lessons that doesn’t bore me but catches any basics I might have missed etc.

anyway looking forward to the newish journey.

Don't let rockstar stories of playing until fingers bled or for '10 hours a day' fool you. I mean, I'm not suggesting that this is what's driving you now but it's the kind of mindset people get in to in the same way someone trains for sports or something. In a way, it's subconcious; 'I must dedicate myself to get better'. Sure, you do have have to dedicate yourself on some level in order to get better.

Confused?

The point is to enjoy playing guitar. Period. It is a mindset change and not as much of a habit change.

What does all that mean?

While dedication to an instrument is admirable, enjoyment is the priority. If you approach it as a 'I cannot fail' approach, you'll invariably fail. That's the nature of guitar. Guitar does not allow for perfection. It does allow for improvement.

Stick with me, I'm gettin' somewhere with this...

Your mindset should be less focused on pass/fail. Where am I getting this? In your post, you mentioned that you 'always fell short of really getting to far'. The question is; fell short of what? You're seeing guitar playing as something that you could possibly fail at.

A few years ago, though not unique, I recall a member on these boards for a brief time that was posting that he 'could not get it'. He had teachers and went to all kinds of online lessons and even with a recent face-to-face instructor, the instructor just told him to quit. The line through all of this was his debating with everyone that he 'couldn't do it'. You can see why he failed, he spent most of his time convinced that he would fail and frustrated as to why that was happening. Yet any objective person could see that he just convinced himself that, despite his wont to play guitar, he couldn't because that's what he told himself.

People don't actually fail at guitar. That's a mindset. You do succeed at improvement.

Key here is to understand that guitar playing is a lifelong improvement project. Playing is always a matter of steps. Some are quick and easy and others are slow and a little more difficult. Guitar playing is always going to be 'those steps'. You never have it mastered but that's ok.

And that's what makes guitar playing awesome. With the right mind about it, you realize that you never really can ever get bored with playing.

Reorient your mind to growth and not worry how fast or slow it's taking you. You'd also mentioned that you're 'forcing a more relaxed technique and posture this time'. Definately you do want to be more relaxed and that starts with your head. While we all want to master the instrument, as mere mortals, we can master the next step in our playing.

It's funny, I've been playing for decades and can hold my own. When I was at a store recently, I guy similar to my age that was probably just starting out and he walked by as I was just noodling my standard 'guitar store licks' on an acoustic and he said to me, 'Man, if only I could ever be that good'. Nice compliment but even today after playing for a long time, there's things I learn and am challenged to play. Heck, I have a run that I made up that I've been trying to get right for many weeks now!! And it's my run!

Take the steps. Be clear in your mind that you're on a journey that the steps are the point. They are what's awesome about playing. I can play because I've been taking steps for decades. I still like playing because I like the steps and I know that around the corner is something new and cool to learn. Even when it's a tougher thing, I like working that that through.

It's like the corny 'Embrace the journey' but it's true. Take the pressure off perfection and realize that guitar is lots of building blocks.

.....it's like I just wrote a guitar player's self-help book ;)

# 4
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
09/17/2019 3:39 pm

IMO, the first consideration is to have fun. If one doesn't find playing guitar enjoyable then... what's the point?

Secondly, know that guitar is not easy. It requires dedication and practice. Lots and lots of practice. In my case, lots and lots and lots of practice. Note my signature block below and this quotation attibuted to Jimi Hendrix; Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded.

Third... there will always be someone better than you and there will always be someone not as good but... understand it is not a competition.

Finally, I strongly recommend the book, [u]Zen Guitar[/u] by Philip Toshio Sudo. It's a quick read and can be had for less than $15 new, six bucks used. It [u]is not[/u] about Zen nor is it a 'how to play' book; it is about personal attitude and approach to guitar. Most find it beneficial and motivational. Here on the GT Forum we've had several discussions about the book and this is far from my first recommendation (do a Forum search). It's the kind of writing that can and should be reread periodically. It's time for me to do just that again.

Good luck and... have fun.

john

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 5
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
09/17/2019 3:42 pm

Jeffs65........

Holy shit!!! That is the best advice for any frustrated guitarist, no matter what their ablity, that I have ever heard! It should automaticly pop up here on Guitar Tricks, when ever you watch the same lesson again and again. Hell... Guitar Tricks should give you a free year's subscription for that one! I salute you

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 6
JeffS65
JeffS65
09/20/2019 6:49 pm
Originally Posted by: snojones

Jeffs65........

Holy shit!!! That is the best advice for any frustrated guitarist, no matter what their ablity, that I have ever heard! It should automaticly pop up here on Guitar Tricks, when ever you watch the same lesson again and again. Hell... Guitar Tricks should give you a free year's subscription for that one! I salute you

Thanks! I suppose it's the wisdom of errors. You look back at all the years of playing and realize where you missed the boat. Might as well share, ya know.

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.