Don't know where to start!

dazguitar9
dazguitar9
11/06/2020 1:17 pm

Hi. I've played electric guitar for about 15 years in a rock band. I played some acoustic guitar just for myself.

I want to become a teacher. If I can make money doing it, that's great. But mainly it's because I enjoy playing, and I started my daughter on guitar. She now plays classical guitar.

I basically learnt what I needed to learn as I played in my band.

Now I'd love to teach, I'm struggling to know where to start.

I have bought a few books, and download videos, and print-offs.

I just don't know where to start or what to concentrate on.

I know tablature, chord boxes, have learnt songs by ear etc.

As far as theory, I know very limited notation, few scales, and a lot of chords (full/open).

I am aiming at primary school age kids, at least to start. I am hoping that teaching beginners, I will enjoy seeing the discover music, whilst learning and growing as a musician and teacher.

Can someone please give me any advice, or structure, or list even to give me a direction.

I asked at primary schools if I can teach basics or just anything guitar related part time, or even one day a week. But they asked for a grade 8 certificate!

I'm not graded, but I would if I thought it would help.

But I don't know which one. Trinity rock and pop, acoustic, classical, ABRSM (classical), Rock school.

Or which grade is high enough to make a difference.

Or should I learn to a grade level, but don't take exams, and teach privately.

Sorry for huge post.

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
11/10/2020 6:26 pm

Hey! Welcome to Guitar Tricks! The forum is a great place to connect to our active users and get some nice tips and tricks. As far as being a teacher, you'll need to know all those things you mentioned. A guitar teacher will need to be able to help their students with any kinds of questions they might have. You gotta be ready for anything! You will definitely learn the guitar in and out with Guitar Tricks. Enjoy the course!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.