Alice in chains is better than nirvana

Guitar Tricks Forum > Famous Bands and Artists > Alice in chains is better than nirvana

yamazaki

I just thought I should make this thread, Because I really see nothing special about nirvana. They aren't that good, And I think that Alice inchains is much better. The songs are better, And cantrell is much better than cobain, and staley is a better singer too. Also there are a lot more good songs from alice in chains, like "Sea of Sorrow" and "Junkhead". This is just my opinion.

I just thought I should make this thread, Because I really see nothing special about nirvana. They aren't that good, And I think that Alice inchains is much better. The songs are better, And cantrell is much better than cobain, and staley is a better singer too. Also there are a lot more good songs from alice in chains, like "Sea of Sorrow" and "Junkhead". This is just my opinion.

acapella

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. In terms of musical ability maybe AIC is better, but in terms of having good songs and not being boring, Nirvana beats them hands down. I like both bands, but I like listening to Nirvana a lot more.
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. In terms of musical ability maybe AIC is better, but in terms of having good songs and not being boring, Nirvana beats them hands down. I like both bands, but I like listening to Nirvana a lot more.
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.

earthman buck

I as well will disagree. Alice in Chains was a great band, and I think everyone will probably agree that the members were more talented than those of Nirvana. However, there is little variety in Alice in Chains. Facelift is a pretty boring album. Every song sounds very much the same. And Layne Staley moaning a long vowel sound for several minutes wears pretty thin after a while.

They're two of my very favourite bands, but I like Nirvana more.
Can't a Captain look at a Queen?

I as well will disagree. Alice in Chains was a great band, and I think everyone will probably agree that the members were more talented than those of Nirvana. However, there is little variety in Alice in Chains. Facelift is a pretty boring album. Every song sounds very much the same. And Layne Staley moaning a long vowel sound for several minutes wears pretty thin after a while.

They're two of my very favourite bands, but I like Nirvana more.
Can't a Captain look at a Queen?

ren

Yep - same again. Alice in Chains were better musicians, but Nirvana had better songs and (like it or not) were largely responsible for one of the many shifts in popular music.

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here!
https://www.renhimself.com

Yep - same again. Alice in Chains were better musicians, but Nirvana had better songs and (like it or not) were largely responsible for one of the many shifts in popular music.

aschleman

I will go ahead and say..... The following were better bands than Nirvana....

IMHO

Temple of the Dog (Come on!! Chris Cornell, Mike McCready on guitars, Eddie Vedder guest vocals...)
Pearl Jam (A LOT Better guitar work, similar yet more dynamic vocals, great lyrics)

The following are bands from that era that >>I

I will go ahead and say..... The following were better bands than Nirvana....

IMHO

Temple of the Dog (Come on!! Chris Cornell, Mike McCready on guitars, Eddie Vedder guest vocals...)
Pearl Jam (A LOT Better guitar work, similar yet more dynamic vocals, great lyrics)

The following are bands from that era that >>I

ren

'Black' and 'Even Flow' from Pearl Jam's album 'Ten' are a couple of my favourite non-crazy-guitar tunes - agree entirely that there are a load of bands better than Nirvana....

Silverchair were cool, but i my opinion went downhill after frog stomp. The song 'tomorrow' has this classic lyric:

'the water out of the tap is..... very..... hard to drink'

I dunno what they were smoking, but I gotta get some :D

'Black' and 'Even Flow' from Pearl Jam's album 'Ten' are a couple of my favourite non-crazy-guitar tunes - agree entirely that there are a load of bands better than Nirvana....

Silverchair were cool, but i my opinion went downhill after frog stomp. The song 'tomorrow' has this classic lyric:

aschleman

Originally Posted by: zreynoldsp

haha!! Yeah... I like them a lot.

"You got me stooooooooned, sittin in my bedroom thinking"

I like a few of the songs from the Diorama album. "Without You" isn't too bad.

"You brighten my life like a polystyrene hat, but it melts in the sun like a life without love, and I've waited for you so I can't go on without you. without you"

I also like "Israel's Son" by them.

Some tracks to check out from Temple of the Dog if you haven't checked them out already... They only had one album... it was a side project collaboration between Vedder, Cornell, McCready and a few others...

Say Hello 2 Heaven
Call Me a Dog
Pushing Forward Back
Hunger Strike
Times of Trouble

Some Candlebox tunes all from their first album in '93:
Cover Me
You
Change
Far Behind
He Calls Home
No Sense

Originally Posted by: zreynoldsp

haha!! Yeah... I like them a lot.

"You got me stooooooooned, sittin in my bedroom thinking"

I like a few of the songs from the Diorama album. "Without You" isn't too bad.

"You brighten my life like a polystyrene hat, but it melts in the sun like a life without love, and I've waited for you so I can't go on without you. without you"

I also like "Israel's Son" by them.

Some tracks to check out from Temple of the Dog if you haven't checked them out already... They only had one album... it was a side project collaboration between Vedder, Cornell, McCready and a few others...

Say Hello 2 Heaven
Call Me a Dog
Pushing Forward Back
Hunger Strike
Times of Trouble

Some Candlebox tunes all from their first album in '93:
Cover Me
You
Change
Far Behind
He Calls Home
No Sense

magicninja

Guitar Tricks Moderator

Far Behind was like the 4th song I ever learned. Not perfect mind you just well enough that you knew what song it was.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
http://www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons

Far Behind was like the 4th song I ever learned. Not perfect mind you just well enough that you knew what song it was.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja

Raskolnikov

Guitar Tricks Moderator

Originally Posted by: acapella
but in terms of having good songs and not being boring, Nirvana beats them hands down.

And I'd have to disagree with you there.

But this stuff is all entirely subjective
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

Originally Posted by: acapella
but in terms of having good songs and not being boring, Nirvana beats them hands down.

And I'd have to disagree with you there.

But this stuff is all entirely subjective
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

polansky

opinions may vary

Alice in Chains for me is a better band than Nirvana.

I like more the sound of AIC cause it's totally different from other bands of the "Seattle" sound, darker and heavier, and of course in a better technicall place than nirvana.

Although I used to be a drummer, and I gotta say... playing nirvana songs on drums it's the more fun stuff I ever did, dynamics are so relaxed and groovier, that you can do it almost without thinking with you thecnicall part of your brain, you just let it flow. The point is I don't know if it's the same guitar wise (maybe it is), but I like more AIC (even when till now I just can't figure out the drums for "no excuses" wich it's brilliant).

In bases od enjoyment, Nirvana it's a great band, and sure a legacy but AIC went to that other part of the audience, who wanted more than three cord songs (wich are good, I'm not against them).

Gotta say I's a matter of taste and there is no right or wrong here, you just take wathever you liked from those bands and use it to get somewhere with your music.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

opinions may vary

Alice in Chains for me is a better band than Nirvana.

I like more the sound of AIC cause it's totally different from other bands of the "Seattle" sound, darker and heavier, and of course in a better technicall place than nirvana.

Although I used to be a drummer, and I gotta say... playing nirvana songs on drums it's the more fun stuff I ever did, dynamics are so relaxed and groovier, that you can do it almost without thinking with you thecnicall part of your brain, you just let it flow. The point is I don't know if it's the same guitar wise (maybe it is), but I like more AIC (even when till now I just can't figure out the drums for "no excuses" wich it's brilliant).

In bases od enjoyment, Nirvana it's a great band, and sure a legacy but AIC went to that other part of the audience, who wanted more than three cord songs (wich are good, I'm not against them).

Gotta say I's a matter of taste and there is no right or wrong here, you just take wathever you liked from those bands and use it to get somewhere with your music.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.