Worst guitarists in famous bands.

hunter.kane
hunter.kane
08/30/2020 2:56 am

This is simply a fun discussion, Just share your opinion, I personally think Noel Gallagher was nothing special, which I don't love Oasis anyway

# 1
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
08/30/2020 3:17 pm

Elvis the Pelvis!

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 2
hunter.kane
hunter.kane
08/30/2020 7:05 pm
Originally Posted by: snojones

Elvis the Pelvis!

I agree.

# 3
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
08/30/2020 8:35 pm

mmm... not so sure about that, besides what a negative thread, yikes!

Is this how we make ourselves feel better about our own shortcomings? Keep practicing guys, take the high road.

Anyway, still the King with me and still a very cool icon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HBDTHIXYn8

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 4
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
08/30/2020 10:29 pm

William, I didn't mean to denegrate your hero. However i was commeting on guitar skill. Elvis was a world class singer and preformer. However, Elvis mostly used his guitar and some cowboy chords as a prop and a dance partner on stage. I don't think I have even seen any film of Elvis preforming where his guitar was even miked!!! I think that shows that even Elvis knew his guitar was, mostly, a prop.

My intention was to make a light humorous comment about guitar players who really wern't. I did not mean to dis him as a preformer, of which he was world class. Wiithout him, none of us would be wroking so hard to learn the instrument he made popular. Elvis led the way to every guitar hero I have ever admired. He just was not much of one live... that is why he had such a hot back up gourp.

I kind of think of him as being a lot like my Iconclastic musical hero... Mick Jagger, who also plays some guitar in live preformances. Preformances that would probably be less cluttered, and more powerful if he stuck to singing and dancing. Mick is no Paul (as in Les, not McCartney), or Page, or Beck, or Allman, or Bonomasa, or Dimeola, or Django. He is a preformer who dabbles with the guitar, but whos music sounds less cluttered when he leaves the chops to the guitar monsters in his band. Much like Elvis. I would be devisated if his vast musical foot print were to suddenly vanish from the earth! But if I never heard him play guitar again that would be fine by me.

Elvis = A towering Cultural Iconclast who led the way for us all, for sure.... But towering guitar slinger?!... not so much. William I suspect that you know enough about great guitarists that you know this as well.

# 5
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
08/30/2020 11:30 pm

It's all good Sno. Many of our icons had the benefit of others. But the magic, I'm not so sure

1 of my favorite videos is the BBC'S Chuck Berry broadcast. Total respect to the band, but to be honest, it's really all about Chuck.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 6
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
08/31/2020 12:21 am
Originally Posted by: William MG

mmm... not so sure about that, besides what a negative thread, yikes!

Is this how we make ourselves feel better about our own shortcomings? Keep practicing guys, take the high road....

Yup.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 7
Tinpan
Full Access
Tinpan
Full Access
08/31/2020 12:33 am

Interesting interview on yourtube with george throrogood talking about watching Mick Jagger playing some of the best acoustic blues he's ever seen in some backroom. Who would've known. Keith probably wont let him...

# 8
hunter.kane
hunter.kane
08/31/2020 12:34 am

I really didn't mean to be negative, I'm sorry to anyone who felt attacked by this thread. Please forgive me, I simply wanted to make a fun discussion.

# 9
moosehockey18
moosehockey18
08/31/2020 1:15 am
Originally Posted by: hunter.kane

I really didn't mean to be negative, I'm sorry to anyone who felt attacked by this thread. Please forgive me, I simply wanted to make a fun discussion.

No need to apologize. C`mon everyone, have we all become so sensitive these days that we`ve forgotten how to have a little fun ? Not to mention that even these " bad " guitarists are way better than we are anyway. Life`s too short, laugh a little.

# 10
hunter.kane
hunter.kane
08/31/2020 1:35 am
Originally Posted by: moosehockey18

No need to apologize. C`mon everyone, have we all become so sensitive these days that we`ve forgotten how to have a little fun ? Not to mention that even these " bad " guitarists are way better than we are anyway. Life`s too short, laugh a little.

Thank you.

# 11
bbriant
bbriant
08/31/2020 7:20 am

most lead singers

# 12
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
08/31/2020 5:39 pm

To turn this mood around, I have actually grown in appreciation for C.C. Deville of Poison. When I was younger I always thought he was awful, but then I realized his nervous energy actually works for the music!

Sometimes if a player is just *a little bit bad* technically, it sounds worse than someone who is so bad in an area that it becomes a personal style.

BUT so much of this is based on our own taste anyway. These days I either try to find something to appreciate in what a player is doing, even if it's not something I normally like, or I just go do something more positive. :)

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 13
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
08/31/2020 5:59 pm

Elvis the Pelvis!

I agree.

OK, guys... now that we're over being overly sensitive...

What famous band did Elvis play in..?

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 14
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
08/31/2020 6:30 pm
Originally Posted by: john of MT

Elvis the Pelvis!

I agree.

OK, guys... now that we're over being overly sensitive...

What famous band did Elvis play in..?

He was the drum major of most every rock and roll outfit that followed in his wake. Long live the king!

# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.