Simple barré chord -question

Daan
Daan
04/12/2001 3:07 pm
Are there any tricks to learn how to play a 'regular' chord with a barré chord immediatly after it?
I'm having trouble with that..
Again, is it just practice?
# 1
Fender Man
Fender Man
04/12/2001 4:49 pm
I'm no expert, but I'll try helping, hopefull someone else will give some tips.

the way I went about learning barre chords is practice your barre chords and try playing them over and over until you can strike each string one at a time and make sure you can here the note on each string clearly. that'll help your build the strength of you barring finger (the index finger).

Basically just practice your open position chords and your barre chords, and practice going back and forth. over and over, you'll eventually build speed, but at first practise slowly.

"I'll stand up next to a mountain and chop it down with the edge of my hand."
-Jimi Hendrix
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/12/2001 5:15 pm
If I understand your question, you have trouble making the transition to a barre chord from a chord in the first position where a barre is not used.

Try arranging your fingers so that the index finger is left free, ready to form the barre when its needed. For instance, play a C chord leaving the E and A strings mute, and use only your pinky, ring and middle finger to form the chord. Your index finger can then hover over the strings, ready to drop into place for the F or G that is likely to follow. You can use this technique to speed up the change from an A or a D to a barred G.

Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.