Curved & weak pinky when using it for 4th fret

relaxmaster
relaxmaster
06/17/2018 1:22 am

Hi all,

I am an acoustic guitar beginner over 40 years old and very happy so far to be following Guitartricks on the course. I find the course really systematic and so far I am progressing well. I am still in the beginner basic course and using only the index, middle and ring finger on left hand playing 'Five Miles out' with instructor Lisa.

I came across several 'spider' exercises in YouTube that also includes the pinky finger. However, mine seemed to be quite different than the guitarist in Youtube as when I tried to use it for the 4th fret in the exercise on the E strong, or rather on all strings, it seems to be curving inwards. This made it hard for me to apply strength and reach out. Additionally, my left wrist will be quite tired after about 10 minutes. It is not possible doing this exercise if I am seated upright, guitar on right thigh and vertical, which is the correct posture recommended by Guitartricks. However after doing so, I find my wrist bending too much and I am afraid of hurting it in the long run. Much better if my raise the guitar neck up at an angle but isnt this the wrong posture?

I know the way to go is always to practice and practice to increase muscle strength and dexterity. Just needed to make sure I am not heading towards a more serious muscular issue later on. Does anyone have this issue, or is this normal? Have attacked a picture of top view.

Any kind advice will be much appreciated. Thanks a lot.

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
06/25/2018 6:23 pm

Hi relaxmaster,

First off, if you feel discomfort in your wrist or hand, definitely stop. It's okay to bring the guitar neck further up so that your hand is more comfortable. There aren't many rules about how to hold a guitar. The only real rule is to hold it so it doesn't bring you discomfort.

Building pinky strength and dexterity is pretty tough, and it takes awhile to really nail. I've been playing for close to 10 years and even my pinky isn't as quick and nimble as I want it to be! As you know already, practice is about all you can do to build it up. But you have to practice in a way that doesn't strain your hand and wrist too much.

Here's a pretty great set of lessons to build that pinky strength: https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=17205&s_id=1292

Hope this helps!

-Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/25/2018 7:04 pm

Hey & welcome to GT. Glad you are enjoying the lessons! Billy gave you some great advice & a link to my pinky exercises. Thanks, Billy!

I wanted to address some of your other points.

Originally Posted by: relaxmaster

I came across several 'spider' exercises in YouTube that also includes the pinky finger. However, mine seemed to be quite different than the guitarist in Youtube as when I tried to use it for the 4th fret in the exercise on the E strong, or rather on all strings, it seems to be curving inwards. This made it hard for me to apply strength and reach out.[/quote]

Every individual has slightly different finger size & topology. It's a great idea to look for as many resources, options & approaches as possbile. But in the end everyone has to find their own individual solution to some problems.

The overall guiding principle is always to play with the most efficient, smoothest motion possible that helps & does not hinder your ability to play the guitar.

Originally Posted by: relaxmasterAdditionally, my left wrist will be quite tired after about 10 minutes.[/quote]

Take a break. Do not force it. It's better to practice a little bit at a time consistently every day. If you can stand 5 minutes a few times a day that's fine. Your strength & dexterity will gradually improve if you are applying consistent repetitious practice. Your hands & mind need time to assimilate & automate new physical processes.

Originally Posted by: relaxmasterIt is not possible doing this exercise if I am seated upright, guitar on right thigh and vertical, which is the correct posture recommended by Guitartricks. However after doing so, I find my wrist bending too much and I am afraid of hurting it in the long run. Much better if my raise the guitar neck up at an angle but isnt this the wrong posture?

Absolutely raise your guitar neck up! That is the prefered way to form a more natural curve in your wrist. It is always a good idea to avoid straining your wrist (more precisesly the joint between your forearm & hand).

[quote=relaxmaster]I know the way to go is always to practice and practice to increase muscle strength and dexterity. Just needed to make sure I am not heading towards a more serious muscular issue later on. Does anyone have this issue, or is this normal?

It's normal. But you can help the learning process along by practicing smarter. Here's a group of tutorial aimed at building strength &dexterity.

Make sure you are properly warmed up & stretched.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1525

Build your pinky strength & dexterity.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1292

Then, use these trill drills to work on finger independence & control.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1829

[quote=relaxmaster] Have attacked a picture of top view.

It's not necessary to keep your lower fingers on each fret with full pressure. Especially on lower frets. It's okay & often beneficial to release finger pressure on the lower frets, just enough to reach higher & make that higher fretted note ring properly. Don't completely lift your finger off the strings. Just release the pressure that was necessary to make the note sound. Maintain a little contact, just let the finger rest on the string without pressing it down. Otherwise it's wasted effort to raise your finger until it's completely off the string, only to have to bring it all the way back when you return to that fret.[br][br]Notice in your picture that your index finger is really far away from the 1st fret. That's going to limit the amount of leverage you can apply to the higher frets.

At first it takes a lot of pressure & strain to do anything with guitar. However after you build some strength & dexterity, you'll find it doesn't take as much pressure & strain. If you keep practicing, slowly & consistently you'll find that you gradually get a little more control over your fingers.

Hope that helps! Please ask more if necessary. Have fun!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
ltmikejr4
ltmikejr4
07/10/2019 2:18 pm

I have the same problem. Have you found any solutions?

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.