G7 Chord Changes

davemelnick2
davemelnick2
11/24/2018 1:18 pm

Hi,

I recently started the Fundamentals 1 lessons and most of the early chord changes are coming along nicely (using three fret chords, not the simple ones). Then G7 showed up and is driving me crazy - particularly going there from G major or C major (I know this one requires less movement on the fretboard, but is still awkward). Any helpful tips on these transitions? I start with them VERY slowly, but once I pick up the timing, I keep hitting clunkers.

Thanks

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
11/24/2018 5:17 pm

Tips. Two.

1. [u]Learn and use the alternate fingering of open G [/u]using 2nd, 3rd and 4th fingers. If memory recalls accurately (?), that's an alternate open G fingering Lisa teaches alongside conventional open G somewhere in F1 anyway.

Why? You'll need to be able to use that 2, 3, 4 finger formation later anyway when you, A. use barre chords, or B. encounter certain progressions in songs. i.e. "Lyin' Eyes" G, G7, C, Am, D7 ..etc. I've taught myself to do both to the point I can use either rote at will by recall association with individual progressions in songs as required.

2. [u]Tenacious Repetition[/u]. Yep. Just keep at practising forming those finger formations and changes slowly over and over until it all becomes rote. Ain't no 'secret' to it other than that. Focus on forming them accurately so each chord sounds clearly noting how your individual hand's thumb and fingers fall to achieve it. Once you have each formations forming feeling less awkward, alternate from one to the other to introduce the change focusing upon doing so smoothly and fluidly rather than fast. Same with a three chord progression e.g. G, G7, C and subsequently its riff. The speed will come until you can play them and the riff at tempo.

How do I know? "Lyin' Eyes". Really wanting to play that song and its pretty, pretty riff fueled the mojo effortlessly. Have fun.

Cheers.

# 2
davemelnick2
davemelnick2
11/25/2018 1:11 pm

manXCat, thanks for the great advice. I appreciate it.

# 3
svyatosshiryaeva1982
svyatosshiryaeva1982
04/04/2019 5:04 am

Hey,thanks for such help..Really proving to be useful for many users...Thank you so much mybkexperience

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.