How many times should I practice a song?

shoaibkkhan
shoaibkkhan
02/25/2019 4:56 pm

Hi guys I was wondering how many times some of you practice exercises and songs. I usually practice them until I have them memorized and I can do them without looking at the music non-stop 4 times. I was gradually going to increase the number to 20. How do you guys practice as a rule of thumb? Please respond.

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
02/25/2019 6:57 pm

Hi Shoaib,

I think it's a lot of fun to practice something enough so that you're able to play it without looking at the notation, so that you can play it from memory.

For me, this takes a bit of time because I like to really understand the movements and make sure it sounds somewhat like the song I'm trying to learn from.

Everyone learns at a different pace, but I don't have a number like you do. I think your method is pretty solid and I may borrow that from you!

I generally like to piece together riffs or chord progressions, little by little. I know I'm done with it if I'm able to play it with the original recording. That's how I know I've truly learned it.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
shoaibkkhan
shoaibkkhan
02/25/2019 8:10 pm

Thank you so much for replying! I think I am going to gradually bring it up to 10 and then when I am ready I will bring it up to 20.

Thanks again for the reply!

# 3
manXcat
manXcat
02/25/2019 9:25 pm

As much as it takes until I can play whatever consistently and musically from rote recall upon demand without other than an occasional minor mistake as occurs in anything one does. Where a song, that includes regular review, revision/reinforcement as required of my current set list/favourites to a point I can play any of them impromptu consistently to that same standard. Although a left brain dominant, I assess my ability to perform musical competencies qualitatively, not quantitatively, as it must be IME&V.

# 4
shoaibkkhan
shoaibkkhan
02/26/2019 12:15 am

Thanks manXcat! I will definitely take all of that into consideration.

# 5
danielgeorge868
danielgeorge868
03/13/2019 4:24 pm

I learned piano and now I want to learn guitar also. Can someone please tell how should I start and how much time will it take to learn guitar?

# 6
jarkko.eklund
Full Access
jarkko.eklund
Full Access
03/14/2019 5:45 am
Originally Posted by: danielgeorge868

I learned piano and now I want to learn guitar also. Can someone please tell how should I start and how much time will it take to learn guitar?

It takes a lifetime. I've played some 35 years now, and still learning new things all the time.

Seriously. It is dependent what is the goal you're aiming. For "good enough" campfire style accompaniment using open chords, it will take from a few weeks to some months. We all learn at the different pace. It also affects how much practice time you have. Learning guitar is mostly gaining a muscle memory by constant repedition. Don't overwhelm yourself by trying to advance too hastily, anyway.

[br]The is a lesson path(s) here in GuitarTricks. Click Beginner Lessons on the front page, and from Core Learning System select Guitar Fundamentials 1. That is the main beginner lesson path, together with Fundamentals 2.

There is also links to beginner level song lessons and Practice for beginners at the bottom of Beginner lessons page.

And be active in the forum. GuitarTricks instructors are active here, they are answering questions and giving tips. Also we GT students are eagar to share our own experiences and knowledge.

# 7
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
03/14/2019 2:10 pm

It takes a lifetime. I've played some 35 years now, and still learning new things all the time.

Seriously. It is dependent what is the goal you're aiming. For "good enough" campfire style accompaniment using open chords, it will take from a few weeks to some months. We all learn at the different pace. It also affects how much practice time you have. Learning guitar is mostly gaining a muscle memory by constant repedition. Don't overwhelm yourself by trying to advance too hastily, anyway.

[/quote]

Hello! Some really good advice here that I can relate to as a beginner. It can take me a long time. I can usually get simple stuff down reasonably quickly - right now I am learning "Baby Please Don't Go". The 1st and 2cnd parts of the intro I had down in a few hours, and still working on the rest of the intro - but at least I can see myself progressing through repetition. And I should say that I am not into the chord parts yet. Chords will definately take me more time. When I learned "Be My Lover" it didn't take long at all to get the chords down and the rythem because it is such a simple song. I am not as tight or clean on my chord transitions as I want to be but I can still enjoy playing along with the track and while I am doing this I can work on making cleaner chords.

Good luck!

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.