Beginner's Practice Routine

matt.bank8
matt.bank8
03/13/2019 1:44 pm

Hey All,

I am very new at guitar (about a month in) but I have found Guitar Tricks and this Forum to be extremely helpful. It's super easy for me to go follow a bunch of guitar accounts on instagram and feel a bit overwhelmed, so coming back to the beginner forums has really helped me stay grounded.

I do the same routine each day before jumping into some lessons with Lisa (I am about to start guitar fundamentals 2). If this helps someone get in a good warm up routine, thats awesome! So here is what I do:

3 Spider Legs on each string (starting with high E)

1 Spider Legs on each string with alternating picking (starting on low E)

1 Spider Legs on each string while making my way down neck w/ alternating picking(low E starts on 1st fret, A string starts on 2nd fret...etc) and then back up

Then I pick a chord, G for example, and I do every chord transition from the G chord, going back and forth roughly 20-30 times each. Each day I pick a different chord to start from, and when I learn a new chord I throw that one into the mix as well.

After this, I feel ready to keep learning. I sometimes want to just rush into the lessons to get the gratification of completing another lesson and moving forward in my learnings, but it is important to remind myself that this is a marathon and not a sprint.

Hope this helps and if you have any other routines that I should add in, I am all ears!

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
03/20/2019 4:43 pm

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing the tips! Spider legs are always pretty solid for workouts.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.