E minor Chord

ryanruanbest
ryanruanbest
03/20/2019 3:35 pm

In the beginner lesson for E minor chord, I were told to play the low E by itself then strum the rest of the string. However, I see some other sources just strum all strings at once. I am a bit confused -- which way should I really do the E minor chord?

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
03/20/2019 5:13 pm

Hi there,

In the tutorial you're referring to here: https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=22946

Lisa teaches the E minor chord and when she explains "how to strum" the chord, she does say to hit the Low E string first, followed by the rest of the strings. This is just an exercise to get you used to playing the E minor chord in a rhythm. Think of it that way.

Otherwise, when you play an E minor chord generally, you will strike all the strings using one motion.

-Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
brother_hesekiel
brother_hesekiel
04/12/2019 2:34 am

Not to highjack this thread, but I too have a question about the Em chord.

I learned from the get-go to play the open G chord with middle and ring finger. The jury still seems to be out on which version is better. It may depend on the chord progressions is my guess. On the same token, I got used to playing the Em chord with middle and ring finger, and that seems to make a GREAT deal of sense to me, given that the open E requires the same configeration as the index finger has other work to do. Or Asus, or the change from Em to Am.

My question is, is this okay, or not?

# 3
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
04/12/2019 7:23 am

It's fine brother. You'll want both in your repertoire eventually in any case.

As you alluded earlier, you'll alternate between playing both in song progressions depending upon which facilitates any particular progression. I do. After a time, both will feel so completely natural and be so automatic when you're playing, cognizance won't be necessary nor occur without directing deliberate attention to it. Same holds true for many progressions IME.

For instance, unusually even I use an open Bm for CCR's "Who'll Stop The Rain" instead of a barre because it better facilitates the fingering of the quick change in the second verse from G to Bm to C on the higher action heavier string gauge of an acoustic as well as sounding better unamplified. I can do either and often do, especially on electric where it's just as easy to also alternate with barred G, Bm & C, but the open Bm is definitely and easier faster change to facilitate on acoustic or when using open chords for G & C.

# 4
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/16/2019 2:29 pm

Seeing as how Em is one of my very favorite chords, I'd thought I'd hop in here - but as I read this discussion, I think you've all got all the questions answered quite well.

Onward, E Minor!

Best - Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.