Chord fingering alternates

stevendiver
stevendiver
03/31/2019 9:33 pm

I'm only a week in as a re-beginner. My question is about fingering and I'll use E minor as an example.

Most resources state to play with fingers 2-3 although in the intro lessons this is taught with fingers 1-2 (which I realize is an alternate). This method makes switching between Am and Em fairly easy and sure enough, the first 2-chord switching exercise song features this switch as a pivot.

However, I can't help but feel given the other major shapes like C, D and E, leaving my index finger "free" will pay dividends down the line.

Would like your thoughts on this. Do you recommend staying with the chords as taught or simply spending more time now switching between the non-pivot versions for the exercise knowing that approach is harder but will pay dividends down the line. Same is true of "pinky G".

Thanks!

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
04/01/2019 6:30 pm

Hi there,

Lisa teaches you the simple method first just to get our fingers used to moving around the fretboard and switching chords.

Stick with the course and she will eventually show you how to add one more finger and play the full voicing. I recommend staying with the teaching and you'll gradually fall into playing full chords.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
stevendiver
stevendiver
04/01/2019 10:05 pm

Thanks for reply! "Simple" versions it is

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.