The old folks' beginners thread

Guitar Tricks Forum > Guitar Basics > The old folks' beginners thread

alffvdh

Full Access

Still trucking along on the more difficult arpeggiated acoustic guitar version of "Kissed by a Rose" by SEAL.

Made some progress, not up to full speed yet! Have been moving house so not as much practice as I should be doing.

Still trucking along on the more difficult arpeggiated acoustic guitar version of "Kissed by a Rose" by SEAL.

Made some progress, not up to full speed yet! Have been moving house so not as much practice as I should be doing.

jgulock

Full Access

Just turned 52 and I'm about a month in to learning guitar. Just about to finish up GF1.

Also, learning harmonica at the same time. To say I'm totally immersed in music right now would be an understatement! Lovin every minute of it, though and only wish I hadn't waited so long.

Just turned 52 and I'm about a month in to learning guitar. Just about to finish up GF1.

Also, learning harmonica at the same time. To say I'm totally immersed in music right now would be an understatement! Lovin every minute of it, though and only wish I hadn't waited so long.

manXcat

"It's getting better all the time"♪♪

Originally Posted by: jgulock

Also, learning harmonica at the same time. To say I'm totally immersed in music right now would be an understatement! Lovin every minute of it..

Hi. I hear you re immersed. Great ain't it! Who are you learning harmonica from? Structured course on a website, or ..?

"Life is just a bowl of cherries ...."

Also, learning harmonica at the same time. To say I'm totally immersed in music right now would be an understatement! Lovin every minute of it..

Hi. I hear you re immersed. Great ain't it! Who are you learning harmonica from? Structured course on a website, or ..?

jgulock

Full Access

Originally Posted by: manXcat

It really is, although I'm starting to see staffs, measures and accidentals in my sleep. Ha!

I'm currently doing two online harmonica courses: Tony Eyers/Harmonica Academy and Ben Hewlett/Udemy. Really like the structure of Tony's courses.

Originally Posted by: manXcat

It really is, although I'm starting to see staffs, measures and accidentals in my sleep. Ha!

I'm currently doing two online harmonica courses: Tony Eyers/Harmonica Academy and Ben Hewlett/Udemy. Really like the structure of Tony's courses.

matonanjin2

Full Access

Are you kidding me?!?!?! People in their 50's posting in this "old folks'" beginners thread?!?!?!?!?

Are you kidding me?!?!?!?!

You guys are babies! I started trying to learn when I had been on Medicare for years. I think anyone that can not show a Medicare card (or at least an AARP card) should not be allowed to post in this thread

Are you kidding me?!?!?! People in their 50's posting in this "old folks'" beginners thread?!?!?!?!?

Are you kidding me?!?!?!?!

You guys are babies! I started trying to learn when I had been on Medicare for years. I think anyone that can not show a Medicare card (or at least an AARP card) should not be allowed to post in this thread

cekrauss

Full Access

Hello Folks,

Damn, it's good to see this Fellowship of the String. Just joined, picking up the guitar again after a little layoff...46 years. Guess my fingers put on some weight to go with the rest of me over the years, hope the new calluses will address that problem. The resources available these days, just wow! Anyone remember listening to 45's and trying to pick up the lyrics, not to mention the chords? I used to be able to play House of the Rising Sun. Not so much at the moment. Damn fingers!

Hello Folks,

Damn, it's good to see this Fellowship of the String. Just joined, picking up the guitar again after a little layoff...46 years. Guess my fingers put on some weight to go with the rest of me over the years, hope the new calluses will address that problem. The resources available these days, just wow! Anyone remember listening to 45's and trying to pick up the lyrics, not to mention the chords? I used to be able to play House of the Rising Sun. Not so much at the moment. Damn fingers!

manXcat

Originally Posted by: cekrauss

The resources available these days, just wow! ..

Eighteen months ago in similar circumstances, that's the thing which really impacted my psyche when I decided to dive back into the water.

The availability of and options for tuition and hardware for learning and playing guitar today. Just wow! Compared with yesteryear, so much more accessible & affordable.

Your mention of "House of the Rising Sun" brought a smile to my dial. I suspect that was possibly the first song everyone of a certain age learnt to play through from beginning to end back in the day. First strummed, then arpeggiated. I thought the same as you when I picked up a guitar again for the first time after so long. 'Once upon a time, long, long ago' quite competent with that tune, and others.

Although it took about a day to recall the once familiar open fingerings once I brought home and explored my new instrument venturing over to JG for those first couple of tutes online, I couldn't actually finger properly or change from C to Am let alone finger F competently! "Oh my!" I thought. What have I bitten off?!!! Move along eighteen months, ..what was that initial concern about? Play it every way including sideways now, and sound like a Pro muso who's been doing so for years. You''ll be there too soon enough. Welcome back!

Originally Posted by: cekrauss

The resources available these days, just wow! ..

Eighteen months ago in similar circumstances, that's the thing which really impacted my psyche when I decided to dive back into the water.

The availability of and options for tuition and hardware for learning and playing guitar today. Just wow! Compared with yesteryear, so much more accessible & affordable.

Your mention of "House of the Rising Sun" brought a smile to my dial. I suspect that was possibly the first song everyone of a certain age learnt to play through from beginning to end back in the day. First strummed, then arpeggiated. I thought the same as you when I picked up a guitar again for the first time after so long. 'Once upon a time, long, long ago' quite competent with that tune, and others.

Although it took about a day to recall the once familiar open fingerings once I brought home and explored my new instrument venturing over to JG for those first couple of tutes online, I couldn't actually finger properly or change from C to Am let alone finger F competently! "Oh my!" I thought. What have I bitten off?!!! Move along eighteen months, ..what was that initial concern about? Play it every way including sideways now, and sound like a Pro muso who's been doing so for years. You''ll be there too soon enough. Welcome back!

Papa Rich

Full Access

So I'm 65. Ooh that hurts just saying it. I have been playing in earnest with GT for almost three years now and I am amazed at what I can do. I am still a beginner/intermediate depending on the topic but I am making music. I can play several of my 60s-70s songs and found out that I love blues since playing. It's great being able to play songs. But I made sure that I followed the beginner lessons and picked up as much as I could. Only when I throught I knew enough did I start learning songs, and then learning more theory/scales as I needed them.

I have hit many frustrating things as I have progressed. But the trick for me was not only having fun learning songs but having fun learning, period. Don't think of lessons just as a- "I have to go through this stuff or I won't be able to do stuff". Have fun learning. Remember, a bad practice day at guitar is better than a good day at work. Enjoy!

So I'm 65. Ooh that hurts just saying it. I have been playing in earnest with GT for almost three years now and I am amazed at what I can do. I am still a beginner/intermediate depending on the topic but I am making music. I can play several of my 60s-70s songs and found out that I love blues since playing. It's great being able to play songs. But I made sure that I followed the beginner lessons and picked up as much as I could. Only when I throught I knew enough did I start learning songs, and then learning more theory/scales as I needed them.

I have hit many frustrating things as I have progressed. But the trick for me was not only having fun learning songs but having fun learning, period. Don't think of lessons just as a- "I have to go through this stuff or I won't be able to do stuff". Have fun learning. Remember, a bad practice day at guitar is better than a good day at work. Enjoy!

manXcat

Originally Posted by: Papa
the trick for me was not only having fun learning songs but having fun learning, period.

That pretty much sums up the keys to satisfaction and consistent progress with learning/playing guitar in my book Papa Rich. Well said.

Originally Posted by: Papa
the trick for me was not only having fun learning songs but having fun learning, period.

That pretty much sums up the keys to satisfaction and consistent progress with learning/playing guitar in my book Papa Rich. Well said.

cekrauss

Full Access

Thanks for the welcome, manXcat, and the encouragement. I would love to see my grandchildren catch the bug that I did oh so many years ago. That is also a large part of my motivation.

And Papa Rich, I know what you mean about the blues. Can't get enough, pretty much all genres.

Thanks for the welcome, manXcat, and the encouragement. I would love to see my grandchildren catch the bug that I did oh so many years ago. That is also a large part of my motivation.

And Papa Rich, I know what you mean about the blues. Can't get enough, pretty much all genres.