Guitar Fretting Finger position

AaronMi
AaronMi
05/04/2019 6:32 am

I'm a pure begainer. I'm struggling two things at the moment. Firstly, I bend my wrist almost 90 degree in order to put my finger tips to the string. I'm not sure this is correct. Secondly, I'm struggling to spread my middle finger and ring finger, while keep their finger tips on the string. Do you guys have any recommandation?

I've attached two pictures to help explain these two issues.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/04/2019 2:35 pm

Hey & welcome to GT! As a beginner, I'm assuming you are working through the Guitar Fundamentals 1 course. Lisa covers proper posture & body mechanics in the first chapter.

https://www.guitartricks.com/course.php?input=fundamentals1

Originally Posted by: AaronMiI'm struggling two things at the moment. Firstly, I bend my wrist almost 90 degree in order to put my finger tips to the string. I'm not sure this is correct.[/quote]

This is definitely bad form that is only going to hinder your ability to play. Thanks for including a picture, but I can't tell from the image where your forearm is & which direction your wrist is bent.

But in general you should position the guitar so that your fretting wrist, hands & fingers all form a gently curving arc. Too much bending in any direction is going to hinder instead of help your dexterity. You might need to angle the guitar away from your body, or tilt it in order to form a more natural arc. I demonstrate this in this lesson.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=13958&s_id=1141

[quote=AaronMi]Secondly, I'm struggling to spread my middle finger and ring finger, while keep their finger tips on the string. Do you guys have any recommandation?

This will usually improve with practice. The more you play, the more strength & dexterity your finger slowly, gradually acquire.

A couple of things to keep in mind that will immediately help.

1. Don't use too much pressure. You only need to apply enough pressure to make the notes sound. Any more is wasted effor that only makes it more difficult to get to the net note & wears down your finger & hand strength. Work on finding & using just enough pressure to get the job done & no more. Don't squeeze the neck & strings to death. :)

2. You don't have to hold down the notes behind any given finger as hard. For example, in your picture, you're fretting notes on the first three frets. The only one you need more pressure on is the highest one, the third. You don't need to hold down the first & second fret with as much tension & pressure. You can let them go a little bit in order to focus your strength on the third. So keep those other fingers hovering in position. But it's not necessary to keep them squeezed tightly right behind each fret.

This is a little tricky because as a beginning you are just learning to fret notes. But the sooner you start to apply a lighter, more agile fretting hand posture & motion, the quicker you will learn & improve.

Hope this helps. Please ask more if necessary & best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
AaronMi
AaronMi
05/05/2019 9:53 am

Thanks Christopher! These are really nice and clear expainations.

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.