Melodies getting better tone question

chinmaytijare
Full Access
chinmaytijare
Full Access
05/08/2019 10:18 am

Hi I am on guitar fundamentals 1, learning ode to joy. The problem I have is when switching to the next note, the previous string is still vibrating so if I take my finger off to press the next note there is a lack of pressure on the previous note resulting in the horrible fuzzy vibrating sound.

How do I get around this?

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/09/2019 12:31 am
Originally Posted by: chinmaytijareHi I am on guitar fundamentals 1, learning ode to joy. The problem I have is when switching to the next note, the previous string is still vibrating so if I take my finger off to press the next note there is a lack of pressure on the previous note resulting in the horrible fuzzy vibrating sound.

How do I get around this?

I encourage you to ask Lisa in her instructor forum since she is the instructor for GF1.

However, I also want to give you some advice! :) What you are describing is a very typical problem for beginners. You want to keep enough pressure on the string to keep it from ringing, but you need to let off enough so it does completely stop.

This is a tricky balancing act! You need to stay as close to each fret as possible to get a clear tone while using the least amount of pressure necessary to play each note. You need to work on each physical transition motion from note to note to get them as clean as possible. You need to make sure you use the tips or sides of your fingers to mute everything except the string that you want to ring.

If you encounter 2 notes that have this problem, then isolate them! Just work on going back and forth between these notes to refine your technique. Once you get them clean, you can move forward in the melody.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.