Keeping my guitar steady

Jetfish
Jetfish
06/02/2019 9:00 am

Hi, Does anyone have any tips on how to keep your guitar steady whilst playing. I have a challenge that the neck tends to move forwards (out from the body) whilst I'm playing. I'm still very new (6 weeks in) and just moved onto playing 5 strings with Lisa, but these little things can really detract from playing, which is hard enough a these early stages. Is this about controlling the neck with the left hand, or about how you hold the body of the guitar with your right arm or a bit of both? Thanks in advance.

Warm Regards

Jetfish

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
06/02/2019 11:56 am

Hi Phil

I had same problem starting out. I was fighting with the neck. A strap helped and so did time in. I rarely think about it now.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
06/02/2019 12:45 pm
Originally Posted by: philrcarter

Hi, Does anyone have any tips on how to keep your guitar steady whilst playing.

[p]

Type of guitar? Sitting or standing?

IMV it's important a guitar is a comfortable physical fit with you for starters.

IME a good body size, weight and overall CG balanced guitar will sit comfortably on your thigh so it doesn't need supporting other than the natural interference fit between thigh and upper picking/strumming arm.

Examples of good fits for me. Slimline & Concert acoustics, Teles, Strats, SG, These just fit me naturally without conscious thought.

Examples of poorer fits for me, Les Paul - heavy body its shape an awkward thigh fit for me, poor body to neck (CofG) balance; & Dreadnought acoustics with their bulbous body. I have to adjust my body English to accomodate both. I manage, but they're never as comfortable as a Tele, Strat or Concert body.

If a fit feels completely awkward you'll be fighting with the neck until you adapt your body English to it. i.e. Les Paul.

# 3
Jetfish
Jetfish
06/03/2019 11:20 am

Thanks for your support and your suggestions. I play sitting down, no strap, with an Eastman E1 OM. I suppose it's like driving a car when you are thinking about everything then after a while it becomes second nature. I will keep persevering and just accept that things will settle down.

Warm Regards

Jetfish

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.