Pinky busted

howardmark
howardmark
06/13/2019 10:08 am

Greetings

A little help please.

Very much a beginner.

Due to an old injury, I don’t have movement in my pinky.

How do I get around the B major and b minor chords that need 4 fingers including the pinky?

Thanks in advance

Mark

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
06/14/2019 6:43 pm

Hello Howardmark,

For the B major chord, you can simply use your 1st and 3rd fingers to play the barre. For the minor chords, I say, simply try and ignore the pinky. You can try and configure it so that you only use your 1, 2 and 3 fingers. Please take a look at some of the Bm chord charts here: https://www.guitartricks.com/chords/B-chord/min

For variation 1, you can try and play the 4th finger with your 3rd finger and ignore the other notes, or try to play variation 5, which can be played with just the 1st and 3rd finger if you create a barre. I hope this makes sense, I hope this helps!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
howardmark
howardmark
06/18/2019 4:32 am

Thanks guys

I will give it a go.

# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
06/18/2019 5:34 pm
Originally Posted by: howardmark

Greetings

A little help please.

Very much a beginner.

Due to an old injury, I don’t have movement in my pinky.

How do I get around the B major and b minor chords that need 4 fingers including the pinky?

Thanks in advance

Mark

Stay around long enough and you'll hear this at sometime but; look up Django Reinhardt on Youtube. Lost the ability to use two of his fingers due to a fire. He rips!

Point being is that in order to play with an issue of that type, you may have to learn how to make adjustments and not be as concerned with be perfectly 'form perfect', 'by the book' ...but more so, what works for you.

Remember, music is an art and not a science and that means that you can freestyle a bit if you need to.

...also note; Brian May of Queen said he almost never uses his pinky.

# 4
howardmark
howardmark
06/24/2019 9:37 am

Thanks Jeff

thats given me a lift.

cheers

mark

# 5
bbriant
bbriant
06/26/2019 2:44 pm

Hi Howardmark

I #

my pinky as no movement to but is fused in a L shape so some chords i can play with it.

But for the B barre chord I have tought myself to play using 2 fingers holding down 3 strings with the third finger and the root ie 5 string with the index finger i dont worry to much if I mute the high E string you can play major barre chords all down the neck that way?

For the Bm I substitute a Bm7 barre chord?

I got myself a book with jazz chords a lot of them are 3 or 4 string chords much easier to get the shapes.

More challenging are scales for me.

hope this helps

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.