How to practice

Kobinabam
Kobinabam
06/20/2019 4:07 am

hello there.

I was just wondering. I am currently in the second stage of the beginners course. I have just realised that I have not been doing any of the supplementary practice exercises, as I have found that there are extra lessons with arpeggios,scales,finger exercises etc.

I really prefer to study in a very structured way.

at what point do I start introducing these extra elements into my practice regime?

when I have finished the second stage?

or immediately?

many thanks

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
06/20/2019 4:59 pm

Hi there,

This is a great question. I suggest following Lisa's Fundamentals course as close as possible and taking her recommendations on exercising and practicing. Once you're solid on the fundamentals, you should have enough experience and skills to tackle the other tutorials on style and technique, that are not part of the Core Learning System.

Practicing is a little different for everyone but if you want more tips, check out this lesson here: https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=20720&s_id=1652

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
Kobinabam
Kobinabam
06/30/2019 1:11 pm

Hi there, thank you very much for your speedy response, I have been absorbing the information and watching the videos that you recommended.

thanks for your help

# 3
mcabrera08
Full Access
mcabrera08
Full Access
07/07/2019 11:33 pm
Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks Admin

Hi there,

This is a great question. I suggest following Lisa's Fundamentals course as close as possible and taking her recommendations on exercising and practicing. Once you're solid on the fundamentals, you should have enough experience and skills to tackle the other tutorials on style and technique, that are not part of the Core Learning System.

Practicing is a little different for everyone but if you want more tips, check out this lesson here: https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=20720&s_id=1652

Thank you! That lesson series really helped!!

# 4
Kobinabam
Kobinabam
07/30/2019 9:12 pm

Hello again,

just another quick question about how to practice.

is it advised to master every single lesson before moving on?

I have almost finished the second stage of the beginner lessons, and I find that I feel the need to stop and completely master the barre chords for example.

but I find that this means that I am stuck in the same lesson for two months or even longer.

should I just power ahead, and then come back when I am more experienced?

thsnks

# 5
Spmmthca5
Spmmthca5
08/16/2019 4:42 pm
Originally Posted by: Kobinabam

Hello again,

just another quick question about how to practice.

is it advised to master every single lesson before moving on?

I have almost finished the second stage of the beginner lessons, and I find that I feel the need to stop and completely master the barre chords for example.

but I find that this means that I am stuck in the same lesson for two months or even longer.

should I just power ahead, and then come back when I am more experienced?

thsnks

Hi I have this exact same question. Can we get a reply?

# 6
tex.tracy
tex.tracy
08/18/2019 12:59 am

same question here

Thanks

# 7
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/20/2019 1:58 pm

Hi all,

I think the choice is yours as to whether you want to master every lesson before moving on, or not.

Absolute mastery is not always necessary in order to gain the undertanding and techniques that are being taught in each section. What IS necessary is that you "Get it". You understand what has been taught, and why, and how it makes sense to the overall instrument.

And you definitely want to master the basic chords, and the chord-change strategies. That is fundamental learning you'll need from here on out.

If you move ahead from a particular section, and later find that you really should have mastered it in order for what you've moved on to to make sense, then simply back up, and nail the details in that earlier section.

-Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 8
Kobinabam
Kobinabam
09/05/2019 4:31 am

Thank you very much for your sage advice. It is very surprising how important understanding why you are learning something is to the eventual outcome of playing the guitar.

i should have finished your two introductory stages within the next month,and I have enjoyed every minute of the lessons. I have learned so much,you are a very good teacher!

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.