Un Happy

William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
06/21/2019 1:25 am

I didn't notice a problem but I don't use the notation much. I usually just use it to get the chord shapes down and practice along with the video lesson. I find it hard to read notation and try to play. Maybe try the song without looking at the notation but instead play along with the video. i use the loop function a lot.

Not sure where you posted your original query but this was taught by Lisa and typically she is very active. Maybe she missed your post if it wasn't under her forum section.

Good luck.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 1
Dave Nightcaps
Full Access
Dave Nightcaps
Full Access
06/21/2019 1:30 am

Thank you

Yep would agree it is a bit hard to follow the notation and thanks for your suggestions.

I guess I am not very impressed if I am correct and it is incorrect that Gt havent picked it up and less the impressed they wont communicate with me can be very frustrating as a beginner

# 2
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
06/21/2019 1:32 am

Duuuude...! Two posts with the same question about 45 minutes apart, both less than 24 hours ago but in the 10 p.m. hour at GT offices, 1:00 a.m. hour on the U.S. east coast?

Remember Herbert the Snail.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 3
dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
06/21/2019 1:36 am

I posted a similar question a while ago about Shiny Objects. This was Lisa's response. So you are not the first person to identify some discrepencies. Just roll with it and know that you are not imagining things.

"The transcriptions were not written by me, and once in a while someone does find a spot where what I play and what you read are very slightly different. Ultimately, you want to aim to be able to play along with me...and be watching my hands and the way I sing and play to give you the cue as to exactly when the chord change occurs. Also, notice if I make a change ON a particular lyric or syllable of a lyric -those can be very helpful cues that you can make a note of."

# 4
Dave Nightcaps
Full Access
Dave Nightcaps
Full Access
06/21/2019 1:45 am

Thanks that's quite helpful

Interesting attitude by them I would think As a beginner I wasted quite a lot of time doubting myself trying to read it its quite frustrating when its wrong and would have thought they would make a effort to correct.

# 5
Dave Nightcaps
Full Access
Dave Nightcaps
Full Access
06/21/2019 1:54 am

John of Mt

Sorry couldnt reply to yours however my point is if its incorrect it shouldn't be allowed to be like that as a beginner things are confusing enough and it was only twice because I posted in another section and it got moved by a Gt member

When I wanted to sign up I was replied to straight away . I guess my point is if the information is incorrect which confuses people especially beginners and you are unable to clarify then sometimes its not the best system for that person . It should not be allowed on there in the first place if it is incorrect. Where we live we have limited access to internet at times weather dependent so I rely on the notation to be correct especially as a beginner so I can get up to speed so its not really to much to ask for the info we are being provided in our monthly fee to be correct is it ? Even if at the very least someone from the Gt team acknowledges that they will look into it .

# 6
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
06/21/2019 2:31 am

That's a much better criticism than the original about not getting a next-day response. More realistic, too.

There are over a thousand song lessons on GT and perhaps thousands of hours of lessons. Mistakes show up, many are corrected over time, some (I imagine) are not. Over the past four and a half years there have been a half-dozen posts about Cross the Line but none of them referred to a mistake in the notation. Maybe you're the first to notice!

Good luck, have fun.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 7
Dave Nightcaps
Full Access
Dave Nightcaps
Full Access
06/21/2019 2:56 am

Thanks John

Yea maybe some better Qc would be in order ... to help us beginner's

# 8
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
06/21/2019 5:11 pm
Originally Posted by: Dave Nightcaps

Has any 1 else on here had problems with the notation on F1 cross the line song ? To me it looks like the amount of measures written down does not match up with the video lesson.

I have asked twice for verification from the Gt team but just get ignored. Wondering if anyone else doing F1 had problems with this .

Quite honestly very disappointed that Gt wont communicate and am seriously thinking of leaving if they cant be bothered to get back to me .On the advertising its all support support and very quick to contact when you first want to sign but am disappointed when you have a genuine query you are ignored

Very poor Gt have just canceled my subscription

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your patience here, I've been able to look at this a little deeper. First off, I want to clarify a few things.

Can you tell us which video you're referring to specifically? When you say lesson, do you mean 'Learn the Song Cross the Line', or the 'Play along' portion?

Also, when you say that the measures that are written do not match the video lesson, can you tell us how many measures you see/hear?

Having just played and watched the entire 'Play Along' lesson myself, I can tell you that the notation matches exactly what Lisa plays. The lesson I'm referring to is here:https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=22961&s_id=1869

Remember that the 'D.S. al coda' on measure 26 requires you to go back up to measure 5, which has the segno sign. And then from there you follow the notation again until you hit the end of measure 23, which has a 'Da coda' sign which moves you to the coda sign at the beginning of measure 27. From there onward, you should be good as long as you keep time with the repeats and everything else.

Apologies if you knew this already, but if you didn't, I hope that makes sense!

Best,

Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 9
Dave Nightcaps
Full Access
Dave Nightcaps
Full Access
06/21/2019 8:55 pm

Thank you for your reply .

As a beginner some of the terminology is a bit lost on me not to sure if we have been taught that terminology yet however this is what I see .

On the sheet music style of notation

Intro 8 measures of Am

Verse 8 measures of Am

2nd part of the verse

8 Measures of Em

8 measures of Am

# 10
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/22/2019 1:49 am

I'm assuming you are referring to this lesson. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=22961&s_id=1869

Originally Posted by: Dave Nightcaps

On the sheet music style of notation

Intro 8 measures of Am

Verse 8 measures of Am

2nd part of the verse

8 Measures of Em

8 measures of Am

I don't see any place in this song that there are 8 consectutive measures of E minor. I see:

Intro:

8 measure of A minor

Verse:

8 measure of A minor

4 measures of E minor

4 measures of A minor

Then the chorus starts.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 11
Martin Gibson 335
Full Access
Martin Gibson 335
Full Access
11/15/2019 5:55 pm

Hi Chris

Ive just got to this lesson and the notation has left me a little confused. I have messaged Lisa not knowing an early thread had been started, however I pleassed others have brought this to your attention and sorry I have to agree with others that as a beginer its important the the explanation, and notation and play along all match.

The notation i see shows intro 4 meassures x two strums then 1st verse 4 meassures x 2 strums. Your correction/addition (in red) is exactly as Lisa's explanation however the pop up notation does not show that!

Now of course this could just be me geting it all wrong and if so I will give this lesson a miss and move on. However I await your response with interest

# 12
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/15/2019 8:20 pm
Originally Posted by: Trevor Gibo

The notation i see shows intro 4 meassures x two strums then 1st verse 4 meassures x 2 strums. Your correction/addition (in red) is exactly as Lisa's explanation however the pop up notation does not show that!

[p]That's weird because I got the notation for my image from the pop up notation on the lesson page. I took a screen shot, pasted it into MS paint, added my red text explanation & uploaded it to my post.

I just looked at the lesson page & my post again and it's all exactly the same. The only difference is the red lettering that I added in help indicate & explain the notation.

What do you see that is different? Can you upload a screen shot please? Thanks!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 13
Martin Gibson 335
Full Access
Martin Gibson 335
Full Access
11/15/2019 11:34 pm

Hi Chris

Many thanks for your prompt response! And forget my previous comment! Got it! Lesson 2.4 how to read a simple song sheet tells me all I need to know. Two vertical lines and two dot = repeat. Slow class for me I'm afraid.👍

# 14
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/16/2019 1:00 pm
Originally Posted by: Trevor Gibo

Hi Chris

Many thanks for your prompt response! And forget my previous comment! Got it! Lesson 2.4 how to read a simple song sheet tells me all I need to know. Two vertical lines and two dot = repeat. Slow class for me I'm afraid.👍

Good deal! I'm sorry for not calling that out explicitly. I'm glad you found it in the course!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.