Help required Rock beginner lesson 1

ian.thompson26
Full Access
ian.thompson26
Full Access
06/23/2019 9:11 pm

Hi

I'm a newbie & this is my first post on the forum. I am a complete beginner to guitar & have just spent the last couple of months working through guitar fundamentals 1.

Having become reasonably proficient learning power chords, tips for easy chord changes, etc etc, I was looking forward to having a look at beginner lessons for rock, my preferred genre. In the very 1st lesson here, I'm being asked to form basic chords, such as A, D, & G in completely different ways to what I have practised religously for weeks to try and perfect; different finger positions and string muting. Seems that I am having to start from scratch again just to learn these basic chords in this new rock style. Can anyone advise if I can go through the beginner rock lessons using the "proper" chord positions I have previously learned or should I stick with trying to learn the new "string muting" method of playing chords. Feeling a bit frustrated right now!

Thanks for any help

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
06/23/2019 10:58 pm

I can offer some help, I started in Jan so by no means an expert.

Ive learned there are 3 ways to make a basic A. I am talking about the A that is up on the neck 2cnd fret. I use what is comfortable to me.

On the G, again high up on the neck, I will often drop the pinky because it’s just easier and helps me keep up with the tempo of the song.

So I guess what it comes down to is finding a way that works best for you.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
bbriant
bbriant
06/24/2019 6:30 am

you learn and learn and when you get better you unlearn and do it your way?

# 3
neil.sklar
neil.sklar
06/27/2019 11:48 pm

I'm also a beginner, but my understanding is that there are various ways to play any given chord, and that what makes the most sense in any given situation depends on various factors (what chord came before, what chord comes after, personal preference, etc. So yeah, they teach one way of forming a chord and have you practice the hell out of it, 'cause that's how learning works, and then they have you modify what you're doing, 'cause that's how playing guitar works. Frustrating, but it's the nature of the beast.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.