Alternate picking?

neil.sklar
neil.sklar
06/27/2019 1:27 am

I'm wondering whether there's a reason not to mess around with alternate picking when practicing the beginner exercises (C, F, G scales, and the practice songs) that are introduced in the first three chapters, before chords are introduced. I.e., was alternate picking left out just to keep things simple at the beginning, or intentionally left for later because getting into that too early can lead to bad habits?

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
06/27/2019 3:40 am

It's been a while, but I don't think alternate picking is left unmentioned for long in the course is it?

If you're already accomplished with it, I can't see any reason not to use it if you prefer to.

[br]The direct answer to your question though was apparent to me at the time, is for reasons of simplicity facilitative to easy quick accomplishment, like the lessons featuring 'simple' Am & Em.

Alternate picking won't lead to any "bad habits" I'm yet aware of. It's just that it's unnecessarily more difficult at that stage and thus impeding of perception of progress which is important commercially to GT given their target core demographic and objectives, and motivationally for the average beginning player and their own primary objectives in initial stages of learning to play guitar, whether cogent of them or not.

# 2
neil.sklar
neil.sklar
06/27/2019 3:19 pm

Thanks for the reply, Cat. Just to clarify, I'm not accomplished with alternate picking, or anything else involving guitar. I'm a beginner. Just wondering whether it makes sense to add alternate picking into my practice in order to start developing that skill since I've made working with a metronome on those scales and practice songs part of my daily routine. [br][br]Hopefully Lisa or one of the GT teachers will jump in with some guidance on this when they get a chance. As a teacher, I know that instructional decisions are sometimes made for reasons that may not be obvious to students, and I'm reluctant to deviate too much from what's obviously a carefully thought-out program without checking first.

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/27/2019 5:55 pm
Originally Posted by: neil.sklarI'm wondering whether there's a reason not to mess around with alternate picking when practicing the beginner exercises ...[/quote]

There is no reason to avoid it as long as you are not overwhleming yourself!

[quote=neil.sklar]...was alternate picking left out just to keep things simple at the beginning, or intentionally left for later because getting into that too early can lead to bad habits?

It's about keeping things as simple as possible for beginners.

In early learning stages it is sometimes all a beginner guitarist can do just to cleanly articulate the notes and stay in time. :) So, anyway you can get that happening is fine.

If you are able to add alternate picking into your practice routine without getting overwhelmed, then go for it. As long as you can do it cleanly & clearly with a natural, relaxed & smooth motion, it will not lead to bad habits.

I have some beginner tutorials on picking techniques.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=742

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=743

Hope that helps. Please ask more if necessary & best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
neil.sklar
neil.sklar
06/30/2019 4:40 pm

Thanks, Christopher! That's exactly what I needed to know.

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/05/2019 7:08 pm
Originally Posted by: neil.sklar

Thanks, Christopher! That's exactly what I needed to know.

You're welcome! Glad it helped!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.