D string makes really loud rattling noise. help?

serikaaa
serikaaa
07/02/2019 1:11 pm

I don't know if this is the right forum section, but the D string on my acoustic guitar is making a really loud rartling sound. It didn't do that before, and I haven't played guitar for a week now since I was on vacation, so i know that I didn't accidentally mess something up. Can someone please explain to me why it's doing that and how I can fix it? I'm a complete beginner so this is all new to me.

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
07/02/2019 5:04 pm

Hi there,

The rattling sound may be due to the string being loose, or not tight enough wound. Make sure the string is in tune.

If the string has too much slack, it will sag a little bit and when you hit the string, it will touch the frets and give you that rattling noise.

It's odd that it never made this sound before, it's possible also that your guitar's neck might have warped a little bit. This could happen if you leave it in a hot place or in the sun, or any other extreme temperatures.

You may want to try changing the strings and seeing if that helps, or checking the tuning heads, the nut and the bridge to see if anything changed.

I hope that helps!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
Slacksixx
Slacksixx
07/03/2019 1:49 pm

Hi,

in order to help you we need to know a little more about your problem.

try this and report back.

with all 6 strings tuned to pitch, fret the D string at the 1st fret (closest to the nut) and pick the string, listen for the rattling sound. Repeat it at each consecutive fret all the way down the D string. Take note of where the rattle is i.e. 1st fret, 7th, 12th etc.

you can do this for all 6 strings.

# 3
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
01/06/2021 8:50 am
Originally Posted by: serikaaa

I don't know if this is the right forum section, but the D string on my acoustic guitar is making a really loud rartling sound. It didn't do that before, and I haven't played guitar for a week now since I was on vacation, so i know that I didn't accidentally mess something up. Can someone please explain to me why it's doing that and how I can fix it? I'm a complete beginner so this is all new to me.

Hi Serikaaa --

It would probably be very easy to diagnose if you could post a video somewhere and share a link. Hope you got it figured out!

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.