Action question - should i change??

bodsterboon
bodsterboon
07/14/2019 9:52 pm

Hi, after a few false starts im determined to make a go of learning the guitar properly this time. I've bought a lovely hollow body electric, from someone who clearly knew what they were doing. Its going ok, but my strumming is still a little flakey and inaccurate at times. What I'm wondering however is that the action on my guitar isnt 'flat' and I don't understand the benefits of how its been set up. The high E and D strings in particular have been set at max height while the low E and G strings are at the lowest action. I'm not buzzing or struggling with the strings but as I said, my strumming is a bit clonky, I'm wondering if it's these 2 high action strings that might be throwing me off? Should i set them so they're all flat? Now I'm a geek I noticed on a pic of Jeff Buckly's guitar that the action was in blocks, which made more sense. Part of though thinks don't change it as the bloke I bought the guitar from knew what he was doing! Any advice appreciated x

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
07/14/2019 11:26 pm

Hi

I would be uncomfortable providing advice on your guitar, but welcome and I do hope you stay with it and enjoy a measure of success.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/15/2019 1:25 am

Hey & welcoem to GT!

Originally Posted by: bodsterboon

I've bought a lovely hollow body electric, from someone who clearly knew what they were doing.

[p]Exactly what kind of guitar do you have? Do you know what gauge strings are on it? I ask in order to give you advice on the action & adjusting it.

It does sound like the uneven action could affect your strumming.

Also, I encouage you to post your question in the Guitar Tech forum!

https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/threads.php?f=30

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.