Rock Style or Blues Style Next?

Socrates6
Socrates6
09/02/2019 10:38 pm

Hi All,

I started Guitar Fundamentals about 2.5 months ago and am 65% of the way through Guitar Fundamentals 2. Since i started eith zero guitar experience i am very happy and amazed at what i have learned so far.

My next decision when i complete fundamentals is where to go next. I love both rock and blues and probably want to take both courses...but not sure which one to work on first??

I was originally thinking the Blues track but then thought i might benefit from the Rock course first.

Any thoughts/advice appreciated!

Phil

Socrates

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/02/2019 11:23 pm

Hi Phil,

I think you need to go where your heart is. I went into blues because it just sounds so cool and rock n roll is rooted in the blues. It's quite odd to me that I did this and enjoy it tremendously, while all the songs I want to learn are the ones I grew up to which are rock n roll: AC DC, Kiss, Cooper etc.

Good luck

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
Socrates6
Socrates6
09/03/2019 1:33 am

Thanks William....Yeah I grew up to listening to rock...and still do...but as i got older started really appreciating the blues and listening to a lot of Stevie Ray lately too...maybe will start with blues and then do the rock track.

Socrates

# 3
Socrates6
Socrates6
09/17/2019 7:24 pm

Well after completing Guitar Fundamentals 1 and 2 i decided to start Rock Style a few days ago....it is awesome! I plugged my guitar into my new Boss DS-1 pedal turned the distortion up to noon...and wow it's time to Rock!!! Love it :)

Socrates

# 4
Gino0603
Gino0603
09/18/2019 9:23 am

Hi, iI have the same problem as you I can't decide between rock or blues. I grew up listening rock music. But the feeling I get when playing the blues is the reason why i cannot choose.

At the moment I am going back an forth between the two styles. But i get the feeling that this method is holding me back because i cannot commit to one style and therefore I get the feeling that i am wasting my time. And have to start over again after switching.

I finished fundamentals months ago and I have still not decided. All the music I listen to is Rock based. But Blues is so relaxing to play.

And i know the best thing to do is stick with one of them and complete level 1&2. It is such a difficult choice.

# 5
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
09/18/2019 10:11 am
Originally Posted by: Gino0603I get the feeling that i am wasting my time.[/quote]

"Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time” - John Lennon

...attributed to popularising awareness of the concept, avoiding arguing semantics about the "who said it first?" provenance of the phrase.

[quote=Gino0603]I can't decide between rock or blues.

Conflicted as you are, [u]you have a choice[/u].

A. Think hard. Define your purpose and primary objective clearly. Only you can answer that for you. Apply discipline and pursue it with focus;

B. Continue as you are.

Neither is a wrong choice. Either will take you where you really want to go.

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.