Guitar for kids

jmbender21
jmbender21
09/14/2019 12:34 pm

As I am working through the beginner lessons, my kids are becoming increasingly interested in what I'm doing. They are 4 and nearly 7. We've made a couple games out of plucking strings or copying a rhythm and they insist on getting in their "lesson" when I'm done with mine. The problem is my guitar is way too big for them. We have a ukulele that I've set the older one to working on the spider legs drill, but it's not a great instrument. It was a gift a family member picked up at a souvenir shop in Hawaii. So.... what are your recommendations for kids who want to learn? I obviously don't want to drop a ton of cash on something they may not stick with, but I also don't want to set them up for failure with something poor quality (I'm thinking about the telescopes marketed to kids that are absolute garbage. I had one as a kid. When I went on to study science seriously my parents said If we knew you were really interested we would have gotten a better scope!) I've been seeing ads on Facebook for a 3-string Loog that is intended for kids to start with, anybody have any thoughts on learning on 3 strings first?

# 1
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
09/14/2019 2:04 pm

My daughter has started to show an interest in learning guitar but as she's only 5 yrs old i picked up a cheap 3/4 size classical guitar for her to have a try on. She's been getting on with the size of the guitar well so i think next i'll be buying a 3/4 size electric made by squier for her to use.

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/14/2019 3:17 pm
Originally Posted by: jmbender21

As I am working through the beginner lessons, my kids are becoming increasingly interested in what I'm doing. They are 4 and nearly 7. We've made a couple games out of plucking strings or copying a rhythm and they insist on getting in their "lesson" when I'm done with mine.[/quote]

Hey, that's great family time right there!

Originally Posted by: jmbender21

The problem is my guitar is way too big for them.

[p]Go to a music store. Put a couple of guitars in their hands. Options might include:

1. 3/4 classical.

2. 3/4 steel string acoustic

3. Mini Squier (or similar brand small electric).

4. Loog (acoustic or electric).

You can usually get any one of those for close to $100. You might need a small amp with an electric. But the advantage to an electric is they are often a little easier to manipulate & resell. The advantage to a classical is the soft nylon strings. Great for beginner kids!

Used guitars can also be fine. I've found many good deals at pawn stores & in the used section of music stores. But consider that if you get a new, but inexpensive guitar, then you have the warranty if something goes wrong. Further, if the kids lose interest then you have a better potential resale value.

So go to some music stores! Put a guitar in their hands & see what they find comfortable.

[quote=jmbender21]I've been seeing ads on Facebook for a 3-string Loog that is intended for kids to start with, anybody have any thoughts on learning on 3 strings first?

Those have pros & cons. I listed the Loog last because they are more of an intermediate step. It can be a great learning tool. But if your end goal is to play a 6 string instrument, then why bother with 3 strings? OTOH, 3 strings are potentially less confusing & less overwhelming.

It's great that you are cognizant of setting them up with an instrument that will encourage success rather than failure! And if you give them the chance to feel various instruments in their hands, that will be a better indication to you & them of what options are available & might be the best solution.

With that in mind here is more general advice. I've taught kids as young as 5. I think the desire to learn & the physical & mental ability to do so vary greatly by individual.

Having the desire is of course paramount. But also having the ability to focus on what is required to learn even a little bit can overwhelm many young children. And some kids just do not have the physical ability to manipulate any guitar at that young age.

Teaching any given 5 y.o. can be hit or miss. Mostly miss in my experience. I've had to tell a few parents their kid is just too young right now (focus-wise, ability-wise). So I encourage them to try piano, or something else for 6 months, then try again (hopefully focus & physical skills have improved, kids grow quickly!).

I hate it when that happens. :( But it's just a waste of time otherwise & might be so frustrating for the kid that it would be a negative experience as an intro to guitar & music instruction.

But for those 5 y.o. kids that can manage to focus, practice & learn, I make sure the guitar is as easy as possible for them to play. Small scale guitar, nylon or light gauge strings, lower the nut & bridge. And at a young age it is often important to give them just enough info, bite-sized chunks of things to play & work on. Otherwise it is, again, overwhelming & counter-productive.

The GF1 course would be a great place to start, of course. :)

There you get very simple chords & melodies. Kids with an interest in music are ultra-aware of melody. And this is totally logical, because essentially, with everything stripped away, this is the core of music. You can do away with everything else, but you cannot remove melody & still have music.

I've seen time & again that little kids love to play melodies they know & then love to learn new ones. Once they understand that a correct series of physical motions on a guitar (or other musical instrument) can result in the sound of a melody they can be easily convinced to learn more. They are eager to do so! They will trust that even if something new you are showing them doesn't immediately sound good, it will eventually, once they have evidence their efforts will have a good result.

These tutorials are nothing but single note melodies that are great for kids (& even for adult ear training!)

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1014

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1024

Hope this helps! Have fun & let me know how it goes. Best of success to you & your kids. :)

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
jmbender21
jmbender21
09/16/2019 5:55 pm

Thanks for the input, Chris. Lots to consider. We may check out a music store next weekend.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.