is there a way to break down the f chord

bigdragon.ana
bigdragon.ana
10/30/2020 7:07 pm

I don't get the F chord and I know what most peoples answer will be. Train the chord and you'll get it.

I just want to know, is there a way to break down the positions because I don't know what's wrong with what I do so I can't adapt to it. Is it flexibility? Is it strength? is it not enough calusses? I just don't know . I can't perform what is shown in the basic training, not even in a wrong way. So having some exercises to make this exercise easier would be very helpfull. I just don't know where to start. I don't mind the time but I do mind losing time due to ignorance.

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
10/30/2020 7:39 pm
Originally Posted by: bigdragon.anaI don't get the F chord and I know what most peoples answer will be. Train the chord and you'll get it.

That's right.

Only suggestion I might make which might be making forming an F chord abnormally difficult for you is the type of guitar you are using, the string gauge fitted including age/condition of the strings, and its action (guitar setup). Medium through heavy gauge strings on an acoustic which has the action set too high will present more of a physical challenge than new light gauge strings on an electric.

Other than that, [u]everyone starting out[/u] has difficulty with either form (open or barre) of the F chord. Fretting any chord so low on the neck adjacent the nut requiring a barre or partial barre requires development of technique, finger strength and flexibility which which will come with application over time.

Keep positively in mind that regardless how difficult it might seem at this moment, if I and others can do it, you can too.

Watch the video again. Pay 100% attention.

If you're not doing so already, warm up with the spider legs and other hand and finger strengthening exercises (use Guitar Tricks search), then move to easier but preferably stretchier chords such as open C & G for flexibiliy, stretch & confidence building reinforcing something you know and can do, then proceed to work dynamically on the F chord.

Keep trying applying 100% effort when you do.

Be tenacious. It'll happen with time, persistence & repetition.

# 2
mjgodin
mjgodin
10/30/2020 7:48 pm

I wouldn't stress out over it. I'm sure just about everybody who has picked up a guitar has struggled with it including myself. I've been at it about a year and still don't always make a clean tone out of it, but like everything it will get better with time like Manxcat says. Don't let it hinder your progress with the lessons because you'll be using it many more times from here on out.

As far as breaking it down I'm not sure what you mean by that. There are some variations of the chord, but if your just starting out your probably not gonna enjoy them either. You could just fret the 2nd,3rd and 4th string without the first and that might suffice musically for a while. It's called an Fmaj7 and it could work in some song contexts, but don't give up trying to learn the proper F chord either. Just keep working at it slowly. Concentrate on getting proper finger placement to get a clean tone.

If your having more problems with learning chords you could ask the instructors directly. Lisa is very good at helping beginnners through this stage. This is really the best course of action then asking in the general forum although Christopher and Carl tend to lurk around the whole site so they might be able to help you as well. To access instructors individual sites go to the Forum home screen, then scroll to the bottom. You'll see the "Ask Instructors name" in that area. Also do a search on F chord and you'll be surpised how many questions there are on it. There might be some tips that someone already provided from way back that might give you what your looking for.

Good Luck,

Moe

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/31/2020 1:17 am
Originally Posted by: bigdragon.ana

I just want to know, is there a way to break down the positions because I don't know what's wrong with what I do so I can't adapt to it. Is it flexibility? Is it strength? is it not enough calusses?

[p]Yes, yes and yes. :)[br][br]Sorry for your frustration! Here are a couple of options for working on the F chord.

First just try this triad. This is enough to get the sound of the chord because it contains all the notes you need. For now just do that when you need to practice an F chord in time.

|-----------------------|

|--1--(C)-------------|[br]|--2--(A)-------------|[br]|--3--(F)-------------|[br]|-----------------------|

Or if necessary break it down to the diad version.

|--2--(A)-------------|[br]|--3--(F)-------------|[br]|-----------------------|

At a different practice session try working on the upper part. Again this is enough to create a full F chord because it has all the notes you need, just a different voicing!

|--1--(F)------------|[br]|--1--(C)------------|[br]|--2--(A)-------------|[br]|-----------------------|[br]|-----------------------|

Eventually you can work on putting them together after you get a handle on those two different "pieces" of the traditional F chord voicing.

Also, electric guitars do typically have lower action & smaller neck profiles. Are you playing acoustic or electric?

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
bigdragon.ana
bigdragon.ana
10/31/2020 6:43 am

thank you for the information.

I must say, my question was more frustration then anything else.

But I can get started with these answers.

Thanks so much, this helps me out a lot.

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/31/2020 5:58 pm
Originally Posted by: bigdragon.ana

thank you for the information.

I must say, my question was more frustration then anything else.

But I can get started with these answers.

Thanks so much, this helps me out a lot.

You're welcome. Keep practicing & best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 6
theresomebodyouthere
Full Access
theresomebodyouthere
Full Access
11/01/2020 12:23 am

I was struggling a lot with the F chord, even the simplified one show in the Guitar Fundamentals 1 course.

Then I found the below post on this thread on reddit.

Make the E shape using your 2, 3 and 4 fingers. Once you get used to that, barre with your 1 finger. Keep your thumb on the back of the neck and arch your wrist away from your body.

I tried it and it was easier for me than the simplified non-barre version, so I've started using this method. It didn't sound great at first, but it definately felt easier and sounded better than what I was already doing. I struck with it for a few days and eventually could slowly form a not terrible sounding barred F chord.

I found some tips on various YoutTube videos about how to form barre chords that helped too.

1) by not trying to fret the low E string with the tip/pad of your finger, but rather have the tip protruding over the end of the fret board, and the bend at the middle finger knuckle close to, or touching the fret board by the high E string.

2) not placing the thumb directly behind the finger you are using to barre with, but closer to the middle of the whole chord shape.

3) rolling your finger slightly towards the head of the guitar to push down with the bonier part of the finger.

I might even say I'm still struggling with the F chord, but at least it's better now and I can see an improvement.

There's something out there waiting for us, and it ain't no man...

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.