Is it possible to have a 'dead' string?

hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
06/30/2005 9:35 pm
I recently purchased an electric guitar(no name - nothing grand) and I have tuned it several times and according to the electronic tuner, it's in tune. However, the 'G' string just sounds 'dead' to me compared to the rest. I have not yet found anything in the way of reference that mentions this so I believe this to be my own imagination.

Has anyone else heard of this? What can be done? Replace all the strings?

Thanks-
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 1
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
07/01/2005 3:32 am
The only thing I can think of - is that where the G string is wound on to the machine head - it's too high and the string is not properly resting across the nut, at the end of the neck.
You could try slackening the G string and re-tightening it making sure it winds round the bottom of the machine head shaft
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/01/2005 11:52 am
First thing to do is change the strings. I there is still a problem then look at the guitar set up (string hight and neck curvature).

Between these two you should sort the problem out. If not then it is time to look for things the string may be vibrating against (i.e. a bit of pickup, a broken nut, check the neck isn't warped, a troublesome fret that needs replacing).

I wrote a lesson on guitar set up that may be a good starting point, it is in the studio section.

Hope this helps some
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 3
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
07/03/2005 5:05 am
Perhaps you can raise the action of your strings if they seems to be vibrating against the fretboard. Do you have a tune-o-matic bridge?
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 4
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
07/03/2005 10:08 am
first thing to do is to change strings.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/03/2005 4:58 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter60I recently purchased an electric guitar(no name - nothing grand) and I have tuned it several times and according to the electronic tuner, it's in tune. However, the 'G' string just sounds 'dead' to me compared to the rest. I have not yet found anything in the way of reference that mentions this so I believe this to be my own imagination.

Has anyone else heard of this? What can be done? Replace all the strings?

Thanks-
[font=trebuchet ms]In order of appearance:
  • "Is it possible to have a 'dead' string?"

• Yes, indeed, especially if it is a wound string, and the wrapping has loosened.To prevent this, a properly installed string should have a few turns of the string around the tuner post. And the end should be 'locked'. Check out schmange's tutorial on string installation in the lessons section.

• "I recently purchased an electric guitar..."

• How old are the strings? Even a brand-new guitar may have been hanging around the shop (ha ha) for long enough that the strings should be replaced just on general principal.

• "I have tuned it several times and according to the electronic tuner, it's in tune. However, the 'G' string just sounds 'dead' to me compared to the rest."

• Use that tuner to check the intonation. The harmonic at the 12th fret should match the pitch of the fretted note. And bear in mind that the G and B strings never sound quite right due to the way a guitar works, so it's always a matter of compromise.

• "What can be done? Replace all the strings?"

• Sure. It's a cheap fix. While you're at it, you might try using a different gauge, or switching between sets that have wound and plain G strings. I use D'Addario EXL115W strings (with a wound G string) on my 'Brand X' guitar ever since I decided that the EXL115 set with a plain G string sounded 'wrong' on that guitar.
[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
07/03/2005 8:28 pm
Thanks to all for the input. I do plan on changing the strings out as soon as I can get up to the music store. I will ask for the strings you recommend and see if that helps. I did check the intonation and from what I can tell, it's right.

We'll see and thanks again. I can say that of all of the forums that I have visited on the web, this is, by far, the most friendly and most informative that I've seen.
# 7
fingertricks
fingertricks
07/03/2005 11:55 pm
Since we are on the subjects of strings I have a question. I've been playing for about a year now and I have a feeling that I have been playing out of tune this whole time. I was lucky enough to trade an old computer that doesn't even work any more for a Fender. Then I was given a used electric tuner as a gift. Everytime I try to tune it goes crazy and I'm not sure what the problem is. It does have buttons to raise the calibure (hz) but I'm not sure what calibure my strings are. Can anyone help? Maybe let me know what the common calibure for each string and I can try to work from there. :o
# 8
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/04/2005 4:02 am
Originally Posted by: fingertricks... It does have buttons to raise the calibure (hz) but I'm not sure what calibure my strings are. ...
[font=trebuchet ms]Most tuners tell you which string you're tuning by displaying the letter for the note that is closest to the pitch of the string you're playing. Then it indicates which way you need to adjust the tuning to get accurate pitch.

If you need to know the actual frequecy of the open strings, they are:
  • E = 82.41 Hz
  • A = 110.00 Hz
  • D = 146.83 Hz
  • G = 196.00 Hz
  • B = 246.94 Hz
  • E = 329.63 Hz

This is all 'concert' pitch, also called A = 440 Hz, after the A4 key of a piano.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 9
fingertricks
fingertricks
07/04/2005 6:11 am
Hmmmmm...the hz only goes from 410 to 480. When I turn it off it always defaults to 440hz so I'm guessing I should leave it at that. :confused:
# 10
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/04/2005 6:23 am
Originally Posted by: fingertricksHmmmmm...the hz only goes from 410 to 480. When I turn it off it always defaults to 440hz so I'm guessing I should leave it at that. :confused:
[font=trebuchet ms]Yes. That function shifts the reference up or down from the standard value of 440 Hz.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 11
kingdavid
kingdavid
07/04/2005 5:07 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter60...I can say that of all of the forums that I have visited on the web, this is, by far, the most friendly and most informative that I've seen.

That's because a lot of people go to a lot of trouble to keep the loosers out of this site.
And after all the filtering is done, all that is left is just very nice people. Some are nerdy and all, but overall they are all cool people. It's kinda like being the "weirdo" in school, then meeting this whole bunch of weirdos, and suddenly the "normal" folk are the one's who are odd. Sooo cool.
# 12
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
07/04/2005 10:41 pm
That makes sense. I've been on the 'weirdo' end of the scale for most of my life and I can say that I find that the 'weirdos' and 'nerds', for the most part, make for the best company. I don't know about you all, but I simply do not have time for posers, creeps and losers. If you can't be honest, then stay home.

Again, thanks for the suggestions. :cool:
# 13
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
07/06/2005 2:39 am
So I went ahead and changed the strings and now the G buzzes! This is driving me nuts. I am planning a trip to the music store tomorrow for some better strings but I am begining to think that either a) I did not change the strings out properly or b) it's just going to be one of those things. You know, like getting a lemon when you buy a car...

Man I hope not.
# 14
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
07/06/2005 4:45 am
Originally Posted by: hunter60So I went ahead and changed the strings and now the G buzzes! This is driving me nuts. I am planning a trip to the music store tomorrow for some better strings but I am begining to think that either a) I did not change the strings out properly or b) it's just going to be one of those things. You know, like getting a lemon when you buy a car...

Man I hope not.

if the G is buzzing, the quality of the string is not at fault. Many things can make a string buzz, including low action, poor fingering (which I doubt since it's only one string), etc. When you take it in, tell the repair guy what's wrong and ask if he knows how to fix it. If he says "yes" ask him to show you.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 15
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
07/06/2005 1:06 pm
Thanks. I intend to see what they have to say. One other thing, what about the height of the pickups? That appears to be another thing that you just have to kinda figure out on your own and how it sounds to you, right? But is there a specification that calls for a certain height (in general)?

So tell me, is it obvious that I have no idea what I'm doing? :confused:
# 16
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/07/2005 1:55 am
Originally Posted by: hunter60Thanks. I intend to see what they have to say. One other thing, what about the height of the pickups? That appears to be another thing that you just have to kinda figure out on your own and how it sounds to you, right? [/QUOTE][font=trebuchet ms]Unless you put them so close to the strings that they kill the sustain and screw with the intonation.[/font]
Originally Posted by: hunter60But is there a specification that calls for a certain height (in general)?
[font=trebuchet ms]Nope.[/font]
[QUOTE=hunter60]So tell me, is it obvious that I have no idea what I'm doing? :confused:
[font=trebuchet ms]Ain't nobody born knowin' this stuff![/font] :)
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.