Technical question

hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
07/18/2005 7:52 pm
Hello all. I had been having trouble with the G buzzing on my Washburn electric. I changed the strings...etc and the problem remained. I wanted to see if there was something I could do before having to pay to get it repaired so I tried something different. On the head, past the nut, there are two T-shaped guides that 4 strings run onder on their way to their pegs. I took the G out of the T-shaped guide (only the G) and it stopped buzzing. My question is, does this hurt the guitar or the string(s) and is it a proper way to stop the string from buzzing?

Thank you.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/18/2005 8:19 pm
It shouldn't make any difference as one of the things that T is there for is to keep the string on the nut by maintaining a more acute angle down to the peg. I also vaguely remember something about this also helping tuning.

As far as stopping buzz is concerned a more typical approach is to rase the action of the G a little and that is usually done at the bridge. However setup is also dependent upon the truss rob running under the fret board which determines the amount of curvature or bow on the neck. Loosening the truss rod is often a good way of relieving buzz on the first couple of frets as opposed to messing with the saddles / bridge. i wrote an article on set up in the "studio" category of lessons off the main GT page.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
07/18/2005 9:34 pm
remember intonation after adjustment!!!!!! i have used a bit of matchbook in the nut to raise the action...a cheap quick fix but not very "simonesque" (professional)
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 3
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
07/19/2005 2:18 am
Thank you. How do you raise the action at the bridge? I know you can raise/lower the action via the truss rod but adjustments at the bridge are a mystery to me.

I'll check out your article. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.