Pickup falling into guitar

digmudvayne
digmudvayne
10/14/2005 1:03 am
On my guitar the screw on the left side keeps coming loose from the pickup and so the left side of the pickup falls into the guitar and its a pain to kepp rescrewing it in. Does anyone know how to make the pickup stay in place?
# 1
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
10/14/2005 2:51 am
sounds like you need either a longer screw or maybe a new spring. I used a spring out of an inkpen once and it worked quite well.
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 2
3fingeredblues
3fingeredblues
10/17/2005 10:33 pm
Originally Posted by: digmudvayneOn my guitar the screw on the left side keeps coming loose from the pickup and so the left side of the pickup falls into the guitar and its a pain to kepp rescrewing it in. Does anyone know how to make the pickup stay in place?

You may have a stripped screw whole, which is a fairly easy fix. First you need to remove the pickup - you don't really need to un-solder it, just get it to where you can hold it, flip it over, etc....

Now put a couple of peices of tape on the underside of the screw hole...next, put in a drop of cyanoacrylate THICK FORMULA (available at any hobby shop) and then blast it with an accelerant - this will harden the glue almost instantly and can be found in any hobby shop next to the cyanoacrylate.

Next is to make sure that you don't have a lump on the top side of the screw hole on the pick up....if you do, just trim it flush with a razor.

Now you need a drill bit that is smaller in diameter than the threads on the mounting screw for the pick up and drill a new hole. Voila! Your mounting screw will be snug in the pick up, and this repair will last for a very long time. You could also use a catalyzed metal filler for a pickup with a metal base. This is basically an epoxy or bondo that is mixed just prior to use. Again, let it dry thouroughly, and drill the new hole.

It is also important to cover your guitar with something to protect it while doing this repair. If you are uncomfortable with that, then remove the pickup all together, noting which wire went to which lug on whatever pot or switch, and then do the repair. If you are uncomfortable with that, then take it to your local luthier as this would be a simple fix for any competent tech.

Then again, maybe it is just your spring heh heh heh
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.