What do you think?

magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
10/26/2005 12:49 am
HHHMMMMmmmm...
check it out

Edit: If you scroll down a little you'll find a link to all my songs. This one is just for one.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/26/2005 1:06 am
The link she no work.
# 2
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
10/26/2005 1:14 am
It does now. Tell me the truth now no BS.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/26/2005 1:43 am
Excellent. Great mix. Nice variety throughout the song. Real pro sound on the acoustic guitars. Vocals are well done.
Can't really find anything wrong with it.
Congrats on a well done tune. :D
# 4
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
10/26/2005 1:45 am
Marketable? I'll have another song in a minute.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 5
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
10/26/2005 1:48 am
Here we go......what about this?
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 6
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/26/2005 2:14 am
Good stuff again. :)
They're definitely marketable. Selling em is a different story.
What I'd probably do if I was you, would be to finish off about 9 or 10 songs and put a complete album together. You need one song that has a catchy hook to represent the entire album. Then you need to put together a marketing strategy. ie, band image (even if it's just yourself), a difinitive style you can put your category into, an idea of some other bands you might sound like...etc ..
Then upload the tune (in streaming format) to as many online places as you can find. Once you have the album done, market it through a place like CD Baby (who also send it out to other places for electronic downloading), put a web page official fan site together of your own band with some demo downloads. Then send out your CD's to as many reviewers as you can. (get em professionally made... home made CDR's tend to get tossed to the bottom of the pile).

I guess I found in the long run, it takes a whole lotta time for your stuff to start catching on, getting reviews and eventually selling.
Like 75% of your time is spent doing publicity.

Just outa curiosity, what's the story behind your equipment and recording techniques?
I've got a whole crapload of unfinished tunes that need vocals and I'm interested in what you used to spice up your vocals. It sounds like a vocal doubler and chorus or something??
# 7
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
10/26/2005 2:19 am
Roland VS 2000. Hard to learn but once you got it wow. Shure Sm-57's. Actually it's not digital doubling it's just seprate vocal tracks which I find more appealing, Tiny chorus and a little reverb.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 8
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
10/26/2005 2:24 am
Wanna hear more or do you guys got me pegged?
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 9
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/26/2005 4:14 am
Little Metallica influence in your vocals/harmonies. Me like the first song. I thought, though, that the vocal melody was a bit lacking in the chorus. Except "Inside of YOUR FREE WORLD!" at the end. The verse is catchy enough. I have a few qualms with the lyrics, but I've never heard lyrics I liked, haha. The music itself is pretty tremendous. Truly you live up to your name, ninja.

The second tune sounds very White Zombie meets David Bowie meets Black Label Society meets Alice in Chains. I like the effect you have going on in the background with maybe a pitch shifter? This song I find way superior to the first. Even though the chorus reminds me of Lenny Kravitz's "I Want to Get Away," and I mean REALLY reminds me of it. I think you do a much better job with the vocals on this song. THIS IS ONLY A TEST! haha, I definitely like that. The main problem with these songs is I'm done listening to them, and the melodies are not stuck in my head. Like Schmange said, get one really catchy tune to put at the forefront of your album and it'll be pretty damn solid.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 10
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
10/26/2005 8:16 pm
Thanx Guys I'll try to get more songs on here from the album. Just got to go thru some red tape.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 11
Willdridge
Willdridge
10/26/2005 8:51 pm
Sorry, realise you've got the answer's you wanted, but just wanted to say they're both very good songs.

Personally prefer 'This Is A Test', (I can see Jolly's point about sounding like "I Want To Get Away", is there a Kravitz influence?). And what is the affect you've got on the guitar there...doesn't quite sound like a pitchshifter to me, but I can't quite place it either...

Whilst I agree with Jolly again that their not stuck in my head, they are something I would listen to again, so there's a "selling point"...

Definately take Schmange's advice and look at getting it to as many places as possible and setting up your own site, (you can try selling your CD's through here too, using PayPal for example).

Let us know when you've gotten through the red tape, be interested to know what else you've got going on.
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 12
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
10/26/2005 8:53 pm
Don't be sorry everyone's opinion is valuable to me and I'm definatley glad to hear all these good things. I'll get new songs on as soon as possible.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 13
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
10/26/2005 10:07 pm
Ok here it is I think the rest of the songs from the album. Tell me if that one song is here if not I'll write something else. Get back to me.The rest!!
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 14
Willdridge
Willdridge
10/26/2005 10:32 pm
Working my way through the song's, but some initial (and very brief) thoughts:

#7 - for some reason reminds me of Godsmack initially...then Kravitz kicks in again...(I'm not saying this is a bad thing!!!)

#6 - is nice, different to the other stuff you've shown so far...(don't mean to keep comparing you to other bands, but it's the easiest way to identify songs for me) Wouldn't be out of place on an Icubus album?...

"Hah" - Definate hidden track!!!....

"Whatever" - love the intro harmonies...riff's pretty cool too...vocal's remind me of Incubus again...really digging the riff's and rhythm on the chorus.

"Tell Me Why" - again, like #6 (and echoing Godsmack's 'Otherside' in terms of guitar tone). Lyric's seem a bit flakely, but maybe that's just me...

"Runaway" - Papa Roach springs to mind...personally would say the chorus could do with a little more life - perhaps a different tone on the guitar to help give it that kick?...

Now for the constructive critism, (please bare in mind I've flicked through these songs fairly quickly, but I will go back when I've more time and listen to them in their entirety).

You've got the making of a very good EP/LP there...there's not actually that much work to do in terms of the song's and recording's themselves. Really like the mixture of electric vs. acoustic songs. Only negative thing I would say is there need's to be more of your own sound...(where people go "Hey, that's MagicNinja/etc.") But, saying that, it's hard to pick out a band based solely on half a dozen or so songs, so maybe that's down to me not having listened to them properly...

Really hope that's constructive man - I've bookmarked the page and I'm definately going to come back and listen again. Keep it up, whatever you make of my other comments!
# 15
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
10/26/2005 10:36 pm
Interesting.. Do you think I should add any more tracks? What one song stands out?
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 16
Willdridge
Willdridge
10/26/2005 10:44 pm
The riff on 'Whatever' really stands out...I'd have to listen to them all properly to give you an honest answer on that though - although 'Tell Me Why' is starting starting to grow on me...not going to say anymore, because I'd rather listen to them properly tomorrow or Friday when I've more time and take them in fully...

Posting more songs isn't a bad idea at all.

Hope that's useful.
# 17
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
10/27/2005 12:08 am
I'm listening to them now, and I'm diggin' all of them! The only thing I don't like is the dirty guitar tone. It sounds direct and face, i.e. no real amp sounds like that mic'd. Sounds like a modeler or some type of preamp with no cabinet simulation. Other than that, I really like everything! Keep up the great work!
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 18
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
10/27/2005 12:11 am
It's Miked all right just a lot of effects combined to sound that way. Tube pre amp, then digital effects, 50 band eq. seven different rack units. They were'nt mine so I can't say what they are but I'll find out.

What about the acoustic songs?
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 19
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
10/27/2005 12:16 am
The accoustic sounded great. What kind of cabinet/speakers was the dirty guitar played through?
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.