Eureeeeeka!!!!

magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/31/2006 6:24 am
So I was sitting around wondering how to make my Spider II and my ADA MP1 sound wonderful together. Don't get me wrong the MP-1 into the Spider was ok but nothing fantastic. Then it hit me. Why not put the Spider into the MP1? So I did and Eureeeeeeeekaaa! One of the best tones I have ever conjured. I used the grunge channel on the Spider cranked the gain and that was it. The MP1 had both it's tubes cranked full blast as well. The harmonics were so eager to get out it was almost all I could do not to create one. Problem........

The line 6 has to much power to go into the preamp without it clipping at a low volume. So my question would be what pedal would be best to put in front of the MP1? I don't now how many of you have played a Spider II to know what the Grunge channel sounds like. 6strngs I know you got one. This would be a huge addition to my small setup but an important part that must be up to the challenge. Money really isn't a problem as long as it's within reason(<$200). Help me out guys.

I will be able to try these suggestions out in about a month. I'll probably just try out the top few suggestions so I don't waste a lot of time. So please don't tell me to try a bunch out. If I can avoid an hour of "nope not that one" it would be just ****ing dandy:D

Thanks guys.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
01/31/2006 6:52 am
Not sure really. Maybe a volume pedal or a small mixer? :confused:
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 2
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/31/2006 7:00 am
Sorry. What I was looking for was a distortion pedal that sounds or can sound somewhat like the grunge channel on my line 6 or the one with the most options. No multi effects!
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 3
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
01/31/2006 11:56 am
Mabey a Digitech Grunge Pedal? Thats only like 40 bucks I think.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 4
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
01/31/2006 1:34 pm
You might could get a direct box (DI) to go inbetween the spider and the MP-1. This might make the signal more friendly for your MP-1's input. I had a similar problem with my Rockmaster preamp going into my DEQ. It's regular output was a bit hot. It also has a balanced direct out. So, I started using it, and gained a lot more headroom. DI's are fairly cheap, so that's alway's a plus.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 5
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
01/31/2006 3:54 pm
Yeah, I'd try to Di it...you should be able to dampen the input slightly.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 6
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/31/2006 6:38 pm
HHHmmmm a Di box eh? I dunno I think I would rather have a Wah Ped>Distortion Ped> MP-1>Noise Suppressor> Power amp> kind of setup. One thing I found weird incidently was that the grunge channel though the lowest gain of my three distorted channels had the most noise. It was probably the MP-1 I've heard things about the noise they create. I just found it odd that the Metal and Insane channels created substantially less noise. :confused:

Thanks elklander I'll research the grunge pedal.

What is the word on these pedals?

Boss SD-1
Boss DS-1
MXR ZW overdrive
MXR Micro Amp
Line 6 Dr. Distorto
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 7
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
02/01/2006 7:36 pm
I've got the MXR ZW overdrive (JFRICK also does), and I love it with everything I use it with! It will really push a tube amp/preamp to the next level of sonic nervana. It also has a really nice Marshallesque crunch when driving a clean channel, or it can give you a subtle bit of overdrive for some sweet bluesy tones. In front of an already overdriven channel, it can really tighten things up and rip your face off, with any level of hard rock to full on metal gain you could desire.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 8
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/01/2006 11:37 pm
This is one I was seriously considering because of the description that it brings out harmonics which is EXACTLY what the Spider was doing. Right now it's probably the frontrunner but until I can sit down with it I'm still searching for alternatives.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 9
parrotheada1a
parrotheada1a
02/02/2006 3:23 am
I have a Digitech DF7 Distortion Factory pedal. I haven't explored everything it's capable of yet. I will say this about it though. For a hundred bucks, you can hardly go wrong. Seven different distortion models, 3 EQ pots and 3 pots inside those for level, gain and midrange center. About the only beef I have with it is that it doesn't sound analog enough... the distortion is almost too clean.

Speaking of that, is there a pedal that will give a mostly digital effect chain a more or less analog sound quality? About the only thing I can think of is putting pots into the power supplies so I can tweak voltages here & there.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Still learning. One riff at a time. [/FONT]
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.