Help me find my direction!

magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/08/2006 4:19 pm
Of these songs, which style do you find i am better at? I feel I'm at a point where i need to concentrate on one style of music. If you haven't heard these songs you can hear them at www.soundclick.com/magicninja
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
Superhuman
Superhuman
08/08/2006 8:58 pm
I went with Igor for the energy, but fif you want my opinion it already sounds like you have your own style forming. Personally, a cross between Igor and Hyperactive Pentatonics is the vein I like.
# 2
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/08/2006 10:23 pm
Haha, the fast stuff eh? Yeah, I like those ones too. I know when I get to going to fast I get a little sloppy (which can be corrected) so I tend to like the sound of "Overnighter" and the like a little better but I feel I can do better. I guess listening to all these songs in succession I can here elements of my style in them all. Quite interesting.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 3
jakej
jakej
08/09/2006 12:29 am
Hey Magic
It's all cool, I liked Devoid but I like that kind of music. It's what turns you on that counts. When I was you age it was the late 60's and early 70's, so thats my style after all these years. you need to find your own style and you will.
The neat thing is that your style of music will evolve as you progress up the ladder. The better you get, your music will start to change, you may go in a totally different direction, once you hit a certain point. The main thing is not to give up because your have come to a cross roads in your developement.
So after all is said sit back close your eyes and let whats inside of you come out. That is your style, it's what is inside of you, I have listened to your music you have the talent, just let it out and let the music that is inside of you dictate the style.....JakeJ :) :) :)
# 4
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
08/09/2006 2:23 am
I voted for Overnighter, it's great. Of all of them, it was the track where your lead style really jumped out at me with feeling, and the backing was cool too. Although I'd like to put in an honourable mention for Igor - I think you have a good ear for tying lead hooks in with energetic rock riffs. And also for the Feeble Jazz - the rhythm actually reminded me of the trumpet/piano counter-rhythm at the beginning of Miles Davis' version of "Autumn Leaves"! So, rock may be where your direction lies for the moment - but I'm sure we'll make a jazz maestro out of you yet! ;)
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 5
alucard0941
alucard0941
08/09/2006 2:43 am
Igor rocks man! Great job.

__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 6
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/09/2006 3:02 am
Originally Posted by: jakejHey Magic
It's all cool, I liked Devoid but I like that kind of music. It's what turns you on that counts. When I was you age it was the late 60's and early 70's, so thats my style after all these years. you need to find your own style and you will.
The neat thing is that your style of music will evolve as you progress up the ladder. The better you get, your music will start to change, you may go in a totally different direction, once you hit a certain point. The main thing is not to give up because your have come to a cross roads in your developement.
So after all is said sit back close your eyes and let whats inside of you come out. That is your style, it's what is inside of you, I have listened to your music you have the talent, just let it out and let the music that is inside of you dictate the style.....JakeJ

Hey, this is great advice for anybody! :cool: Thanks alot Jake. These words mean alot. :)
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 7
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/09/2006 3:05 am
Originally Posted by: jiujitsu_jesusI voted for Overnighter, it's great. Of all of them, it was the track where your lead style really jumped out at me with feeling, and the backing was cool too. Although I'd like to put in an honourable mention for Igor - I think you have a good ear for tying lead hooks in with energetic rock riffs. And also for the Feeble Jazz - the rhythm actually reminded me of the trumpet/piano counter-rhythm at the beginning of Miles Davis' version of "Autumn Leaves"! So, rock may be where your direction lies for the moment - but I'm sure we'll make a jazz maestro out of you yet! ;)

i really like "Overnighter" too. I mentioned somewhere that it was the first chord progression I ever really wrote and remembered. I wish I had waited to record "Igor" until I had a better grasp of my equipment. "Feeble Jazz" well we'll just leave it at that. :D I really like Jazz. It's something I wouldn't mind putting forth the effort to master.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 8
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/09/2006 3:07 am
Originally Posted by: alucard0941Igor rocks man! Great job.

Thanks man! If only I knew what I was doing when I mixed it.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 9
alucard0941
alucard0941
08/09/2006 4:17 am
Originally Posted by: magicninjaThanks man! If only I knew what I was doing when I mixed it.

Hmm
You know what, it occurs to me that the first take of anything always turns out better than the ones proceeding it... :confused:
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 10
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/10/2006 12:41 am
Originally Posted by: alucard0941Hmm
You know what, it occurs to me that the first take of anything always turns out better than the ones proceeding it... :confused:

I usually do a few takes. Igor I just didn't mix properly whatsoever. Live and learn. :)
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 11
alucard0941
alucard0941
08/11/2006 1:54 am
What gear do you use Marcos?
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 12
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/11/2006 8:45 am
Originally Posted by: alucard0941What gear do you use Marcos?

Well first it's Betsy. After that I just got a Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion. The only one I used it on was "Hyperactive Pentatonics". Oh, and last months GT solo. Then into my Spider II. Most of my lead stuff is played on the Metal channel with a little delay from the amp. Then it is direct inected into my Roland VS-880 EX. It is pretty much just a link from my amp to my pc at this point. I recorded all of "Igor" and "Tapped Out" on it and then just transfered them to my pc. That was before I got my soundcard which is a M-Audio Audiophile 2???. Damn I forget 2964 maybe. I connect my Roland to it using red and white audio cables. There is a little latency problem but nothing too severe. The software I use is Cakewalk Music Creator Pro. It's pretty easy program to use. Just select your input (In my case M-Audio Stereo L/R), arm to record, and record. The effects are ok I suppose. Mostly I just use some reverb from Waves. Not a bad little setup and I can get some decent tone out of it I suppose. For drums I use a Boss DR-5. It's an older model but all it has to do right now is keep a beat. For the synth stuff I use Fruity Loops. Last but not least for the songs I put bass on I use a Peavy Miillenium BXP 5-string. That's about it.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 13
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/12/2006 11:06 pm
Originally Posted by: CW14I went for Devoid. That and Overnighter are your strongest ones imo.

Thanks man! :) Yeah, I think I had the best tone on those two.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 14
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/12/2006 11:51 pm
Yep, I know what you mean. i feel i just have to start concentrating on a specific area for awhile. After that then I can do some other stuff.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.