Left hand position

KirkD
KirkD
03/30/2007 4:48 pm
All the tutorials I've ever read talk about keeping the thumb on the left hand well behind the neck of the guitar and not allowing it to wrap. Keeping from "choking" the neck or letting the neck rest against the left palm is mentioned ubiquitously.

However, in nearly every chording picture, video, etc., here and elsewhere it appears that the left hand in cradling the neck in the palm.

Any comments??
# 1
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
03/30/2007 6:18 pm
Do as I say, not as I do!! :D

The "proper way" is to use your thumb on the back. Many people are lazy and develop bad habits. It all comes down to how you are most comfortable. But you "should" strive to do it the right way for many reasons. Repetive Stress can be a result of "doing it wrong"

That's my read
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/30/2007 9:41 pm
blah... that's one "rule" I've never followed. Position your thumb to get the best leverage for whatever chord you're playing. It al depends on the size of your hands, the size of the neck, the type of music etc..
# 3

03/30/2007 10:44 pm
hand positioning varies a lot for many reasons like Schmange says

I never felt comfortable to have the thumb behind the neck and naturally end up with the thumb on top. For me, this is the best position as I feel absolutely no pain and I can play hours with straining myself.

My understanding of the finger behind the neck "rule" is to help you get your finger as perpendicular to the strings as possible.
# 4
PlatonicShred
PlatonicShred
03/31/2007 2:58 am
It all depends on what you're playing!

How I was taught, and what I've liked, was that for faster passages that lack any sort of 'blues' touch, you place your thumb perpendicular to the neck aligned with the middle finger. For more bluesy licks, you place your thumb up over the neck to give leverage for those sick bends and whatnot. And for chords, of course it's just 'whatever you feel comfortable with.'

But seriously, there are so many schools of thought on proper left hand technique. Look at your favorite shredders---half the time they have technique that would make most 'proper' players puke! Yet, they get the job done. I've even seen Yngwie Malmsteen use odd left hand technique on occassion.

So just think about what you're trying to play and say 'hmmm...for this insanely fast widdley woo should I put my thumb over the neck, behind it, or whatever?' And you'll just do what facilitates the music--which is really the best thing--IMO.
Back In Black isn't a song. It's a divine call that gets channeled through five righteous dudes every thousand years or so. That's why dragons and sea monsters don't exist anymore.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.