Strings Question

J.R.
J.R.
04/16/2007 1:27 am
Okay, when I played a tele, I liked to use Gibson vintage 10's for Blues, now I play on a Fender Fat Strat that has a FR, and they say you should use the
fender strings with it because they are specially designed to stretch with whammy use.....but I miss the sound of those Gibson vintage strings. Can I still use em on a FR equiped guitar,

http://www.rockhousemethod.com/?friend=18879
MUST HAVE AMP SETTINGS
MUST HAVE AMP SETTINGS

More amp settings then ever...
guitar scales in tab form
scales for open G tuning
# 1
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
04/16/2007 1:38 am
Yea, Fender said that so you'll buy their brand of strings.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 2
GuitarJunkie23
Access: Full
GuitarJunkie23
Access: Full
04/16/2007 1:43 am
It's like my zippo lighter, it says to use zippo fluid and zippo flints. Greedy Bastards :p
[FONT=tahoma]Jimmie Page is my Hero.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]"Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition." Timothy Leary[/FONT]
# 3
aschleman
aschleman
04/16/2007 1:56 am
The reason they say that Fender strings are suppose to be better for Floyd guitars is becuase they have the bullet end... which makes a better seat for the string in the bridge... Strings with the circle ends sometimes don't sit even and as you rock the trem back and forth sometimes they come unseated and put your guitar out of tune... It doesn't have anythign to do with the string itself... just the end.
# 4
dvenetian
dvenetian
04/16/2007 2:05 am
Sometimes changing the string guage or switching to a different string Manufacturer can alter the factory settings to your FR. You may have to increase or decrease the spring tension if it shows signs that the new strings cause the FR to tilt. It's also important to double check the intonation because FR's system can be a bit touchy going out of wack when not properly adjusted to the newer tension.
# 5
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
04/16/2007 2:55 am
Originally Posted by: aschlemanThe reason they say that Fender strings are suppose to be better for Floyd guitars is becuase they have the bullet end... which makes a better seat for the string in the bridge... Strings with the circle ends sometimes don't sit even and as you rock the trem back and forth sometimes they come unseated and put your guitar out of tune... It doesn't have anythign to do with the string itself... just the end.

Actually, with a FR, you cut off the ball/bullet ends and fasten the string in bridge with a bolt. You are on the money when it comes to strat trems though.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 6
J.R.
J.R.
04/16/2007 3:07 am
Originally Posted by: elklanderccActually, with a FR, you cut off the ball/bullet ends and fasten the string in bridge with a bolt. You are on the money when it comes to strat trems though.

Very well said, I was going to point that out myself. So I think I'll give the vintage strings a try...I can tell you this much, changing from one brand of strings to another can really effect your tone...

http://www.rockhousemethod.com/?friend=18879
MUST HAVE AMP SETTINGS
MUST HAVE AMP SETTINGS

More amp settings then ever...
guitar scales in tab form
scales for open G tuning
# 7
pinfinity
pinfinity
04/20/2007 2:43 pm
...Well, try this for added string life and a few extra bucks in your wallet for gear.

If you have a double locking FR or similar licenced FR,Take the strings (any strings) : I prefer elixers. Reverse wind the strings starting at the tuning pegs. Feed the strings thru at the tuning pegs and wind as much of the string as you can onto the tuning pegs before you stretch the string down to the locking portion of the FR at the saddle (three or four winds around the pegs should do) Stretch the string almost to the back of the saddle and snip the excess off. Feed this end into the saddle and lock it down with your allen wrench, tune up, and voila! when a string breaks (usually at the saddle) just loosen the saddle lock, unwind enough string off the tuning peg to feed back into the saddle, lock down and repeat for as many times as the string breaks!

Now, for added string life, buy a jewelers rouge from any jewelry store or online shop and just rub the strings down lightly to remove any grease left from your hands before you put the guitar away for storage to play another day!

Now you have money for those bologna sandwiches and beenie weenies you'll be eating on the road! :D

YEEEEER WEEELCOME!

PIN
# 8
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
04/20/2007 8:55 pm
I have to strongly recommend against using jewelers rouge. This is an abrasive. I don't know who told you to do this, and if it works for you fine, but I wouldn't recommend putting abrasive on your guitar.
# 9
pinfinity
pinfinity
04/21/2007 3:48 am
Originally Posted by: da_ardvarkI have to strongly recommend against using jewelers rouge. This is an abrasive. I don't know who told you to do this, and if it works for you fine, but I wouldn't recommend putting abrasive on your guitar.

??????????????????????????????????????????? :rolleyes:

Did you even read my post?

I said you rub it on your "STRINGS" to preserve them, not the guitar.

No one "told me to do this"

You see, when you are on the road you find new and interesting ways to save cash for things like...uh Food! And nothing sucks worse than having a show to do in 2 hours and you're up for sound check in 5 and you hope like hell your d or g string doesn't break cause if it does, well...guess that big mac will just have to wait 'till tomorrow cause you gotta buy a string.
# 10
ren
ren
04/21/2007 9:26 am
I read your post, but I wouldn't do it either.

It is an abrasive. and if it's on your strings it'll end up all over everything else. How much do strings cost? Pretty much nothing...

However.... to each his own... :)

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 11
pinfinity
pinfinity
04/22/2007 1:40 am
Originally Posted by: renI read your post, but I wouldn't do it either.

It is an abrasive. and if it's on your strings it'll end up all over everything else. How much do strings cost? Pretty much nothing...

However.... to each his own... :)

....What was I thinking.
....You are soooo right.
.....my bad.

I didn't realize there were so many pro's on this sight. Can't get anything over on you guys.

Later :rolleyes:
# 12
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
04/22/2007 3:45 am
:confused:

Myspace
# 13
dvenetian
dvenetian
04/22/2007 5:33 am
Originally Posted by: pinfinity....What was I thinking.
....You are soooo right.
.....my bad.

I didn't realize there were so many pro's on this sight. Can't get anything over on you guys.

Later :rolleyes:

Hey bro, You could always rub the bologna on the strings (the Oscar Mayer chicken & pork variety pack is suggested) and then you could make a sandwich out of it. Two birds, one stone you might say. Better yet, risk getting the new strings before sound check and I'm sure some Groupie Chick at the gig will take you to Mcdonalds after you shread it up, not worrying about breaking those two year old strings you've been trying to preserve. If you really shread, she may take you back to her place after dinner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No having to share that sleeping bag again with that smelly Bassist tonight!!!!!!!!!! SCORE----------- Funny what doors a new set of strings could open. Risk it!!!!!!!!!!
Next, you find out is that She's Ernie Ball's daughter and you get free strings for life just for playing at the next NAMM show, while eating Angus Beef Cheeseburgers between sets....... NO STRINGS ATTACHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (no pun intended)
Lifes good......... Chance it............. You never know....
I've got an extra set of strings to spare if you need them (I'd offer a Big Mac, but it would probably spoil through the mail)>>>>>>>>>
# 14
ren
ren
04/22/2007 10:54 am
wow man.... I wouldn't do it... that's all... if it works for you then cool. If you're a gigging musician who has to choose between strings and food, you're doing something wrong...

jeez... :rolleyes:

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 15
pinfinity
pinfinity
04/24/2007 7:07 am
Originally Posted by: dvenetianHey bro, You could always rub the bologna on the strings (the Oscar Mayer chicken & pork variety pack is suggested) and then you could make a sandwich out of it. Two birds, one stone you might say. Better yet, risk getting the new strings before sound check and I'm sure some Groupie Chick at the gig will take you to Mcdonalds after you shread it up, not worrying about breaking those two year old strings you've been trying to preserve. If you really shread, she may take you back to her place after dinner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No having to share that sleeping bag again with that smelly Bassist tonight!!!!!!!!!! SCORE----------- Funny what doors a new set of strings could open. Risk it!!!!!!!!!!
Next, you find out is that She's Ernie Ball's daughter and you get free strings for life just for playing at the next NAMM show, while eating Angus Beef Cheeseburgers between sets....... NO STRINGS ATTACHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (no pun intended)
Lifes good......... Chance it............. You never know....
I've got an extra set of strings to spare if you need them (I'd offer a Big Mac, but it would probably spoil through the mail)>>>>>>>>>

LOL!! Ok I can laugh at myself. That's pretty funny anyway. The point of the original post was about the reverse string winding trick but somewhere it got lost between the big mac and the jewelers rouge. (hmm, I wonder how that would taste on a sandwich?...) Anyway, The rouge is an old tech trick.
I dunno 'bout wiping the bologna on the strings dude. Last time I did that and played "mississippi Queen"; Delta Burke magically appeared in a two piece microkini and served me sweedish biscoti and gave me a happy ending :eek:
# 16
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
04/24/2007 11:03 am
Originally Posted by: pinfinity I dunno 'bout wiping the bologna on the strings dude. Last time I did that and played "mississippi Queen"; Delta Burke magically appeared in a two piece microkini and served me sweedish biscoti and gave me a happy ending :eek:

Nice! Way to go Old Skool with a Delta Burke reference. Hark, me thinks I hear a thundering herd of Burkes in the distance coming this way... :)
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 17
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
04/24/2007 12:24 pm
Originally Posted by: pinfinity??????????????????????????????????????????? :rolleyes:

Did you even read my post?

I said you rub it on your "STRINGS" to preserve them, not the guitar.

No one "told me to do this"

You see, when you are on the road you find new and interesting ways to save cash for things like...uh Food! And nothing sucks worse than having a show to do in 2 hours and you're up for sound check in 5 and you hope like hell your d or g string doesn't break cause if it does, well...guess that big mac will just have to wait 'till tomorrow cause you gotta buy a string.

When I speak of "GUITAR" I speak of the entire instrument, Strings included. Sorry for the confusion. Bottom line, the $$ you think you are saving putting jewelers rouge on you strings, you will loose because of worn frets. The best thing to do you clean your strings after playing is to wipe them down with a lint free cloth.
# 18
dvenetian
dvenetian
04/24/2007 12:36 pm
Originally Posted by: pinfinityLOL!! Ok I can laugh at myself. That's pretty funny anyway. The point of the original post was about the reverse string winding trick but somewhere it got lost between the big mac and the jewelers rouge. (hmm, I wonder how that would taste on a sandwich?...) Anyway, The rouge is an old tech trick.
I dunno 'bout wiping the bologna on the strings dude. Last time I did that and played "mississippi Queen"; Delta Burke magically appeared in a two piece microkini and served me sweedish biscoti and gave me a happy ending :eek:

Good to see that you have a sense of humor!!!!!!! Delta, nice touch..........
# 19

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.