Contemplating lessons, but...

KirkD
KirkD
04/28/2007 2:53 pm
I've been self-teaching guitar for a little over a month now. I have a Peavy Mantis that I got for my 17th birthday (I'm 37 now) that I never learned to play properly and has been sitting in its case for over 15 years. I know, I know.... Anyway, I've become re-motivated to learn and have been hitting it pretty hard for the past month or so.

My original intent was to get guitar instruction software - I choose Jamorama which isn't bad, I think - and do this for a few months to see if I stick with it. At this point I'm certain I'll stick with it, so I'm contemplating lessons. The problem is, lessons will cost me about $100 per month and I just can't afford it. I suppose I could afford it, but it would be a stretch. So, I thought I would continue with Jamorama, go through the absolute beginner's guide here, and some of the beginner songs over at GuitarNoise.com.

Now the question - am I going to be doing myself a disservice by self-instruction? Is this a reasonable plan? Are black guitars really louder?

-Kirk
# 1
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
04/28/2007 3:31 pm
mate...ive been self instructed my self for the past year or so...and im pretty contempt with my advancement now...look at eric clapton..as far as i know..he too was self instructed...look at him today..not to worry..as long as you have the heart to it, go for it...and we're hear gladly to help you at anytime :)
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 2

04/29/2007 4:46 pm
Since you are already a member here, I'd suggest looking at our tutorial section. It will give you lots of things to work on.

Also, you could pick on of our instructor that fits the style you want to play and look at his/her section. There are sorting options so you could only look at easy lessons. Once you've gone thru the easy one, just change the sorting and take on some intermediate.

One thing I'd do different if I had to go back when I started guitar is that I only played one style, metal. It took me a long time before picking up some fingerpicking and other styles. That was a BIG drawback. Even tho they may not be the style you want to play, you can learn a lot by trying out different styles. They will all help you in the long run. Guitartricks gives you that opportunity.

So use the sorting option to work on lessons at your level and once in a while try out a totally different style.
# 3
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
04/29/2007 11:52 pm
I am primarily self-taught (although that's not true since I learn more here at GT than anything I've learned on my own) and have gone through the instructor issue too.

I think there is a trememdous value in sitting with someone in person but I think it enhances what you learn on your own. And I'm not sure if it has to be an instructor-instructor. You know, just making time once a week to go over a guitar playing buddies house and playing for an hour or two can be beneficial.

I would say that shop for instructors until you find one that is a little more reasonable in the price department. That's what I'm doing and continue to work on your own.

Good luck. BTW, I didn't even start playing until I was 45! Oy. I figure I am going to be the best guitarist in the retirement village when I finally master this thing. :cool:
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 4
dvenetian
dvenetian
04/30/2007 7:35 am
Originally Posted by: BenoitSince you are already a member here, I'd suggest looking at our tutorial section. It will give you lots of things to work on.
One thing I'd do different if I had to go back when I started guitar is that I only played one style, metal. It took me a long time before picking up some fingerpicking and other styles. That was a BIG drawback. Even tho they may not be the style you want to play, you can learn a lot by trying out different styles. They will all help you in the long run. Guitartricks gives you that opportunity.

Benoit is right on with using this site to learn from. Paying for lessons as a beginner will cost a small fortune because you need to built up form and dexterity, which takes time and discipline on your own. You can get the same benefit from a $10 chord book to build form on that you would pay $300-$400 for someone to show you 2 chord shapes a week drawn on loose paper.

When it comes to style, I believe that Benoit is being a little hard on himself. There is a reason that he shreds Metal, it's because He mastered it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That includes different styles of Metal, Hard Rock and some Bluesy sounds as well. That is why he has the ability to express himself through music. He has a solid foundation to build from and produce his style.
You can recognize many players just from their style, I can hear SRV a mile away and Satch and Clapton and Zakk Wylde, etc............
Trying to learn multiple styles can lead to "the jack of all trades, master of none" syndrome, IMO. Experimenting with other styles to play something that fits your mood for the moment is very beneficial, say learning the art of Travis Picking to play "Dust in the Wind" for example (took me forever just to sound even descent at it, but still haven't mastered it. Great song though).
I would recommend focusing on your style 90% of the time and dabble around with the remaining 10% in order to master what you want to express from your playing. Although our moods change from time to time, the foundation of our style will always give expression. I doubt Clapton will ever go all out Metal or EVH will go Country.
# 5
ren
ren
04/30/2007 9:27 am
I think lessons with an instructor benefit everyone. I think it helps to keep you on track and keep you away from bad habits.

OK, so I'm a little biased as a teacher of music amongst other things, but I still take lessons myself. It also helps you stay away from 'traps' like Benoit explained that he played only metal. I always introduce other material around the student's preferred path.

I learnt classical guitar from the age of 8, then Jazz from 14 - I shred like crazy now, but I didn't play an electric guitar or any form of 'rock' until I was 15. Having the grounding in all sorts of techniques really heelped me fly, and now I can add different techniques in. For instance, I hybrid pick way more than the other guys I play with - they alternate pick almost all the time. Nothing wrong with that, but I can do the things they can do, and I've got a few tricks in the bag to surprise them with!

If money is OK, I strongly suggest you take the occaisional lesson to keep yourself on track. You can teach yourself, but I think you'll get further faster with a good teacher...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.