Critique my chords!

KirkD
KirkD
05/01/2007 4:32 am
The links below will lead you to pictures my hand in position for the major chords I know - A,C,D,E,F, and G. I don't know B. :oops: I welcome any comments anyone may have. One specific question that I have is related to my index finger. It seems that I have a VERY hard time making it hit the neck perpendicularly, and it tilts toward the head somewhat. Again, any commets are very welcome. (BTW click on the picture to get a bigger version.)

-Kirk

A A
C C
D D
E E
F F
G G
# 1
ren
ren
05/01/2007 9:10 am
For the A - uou'll find it easier if you re-order your fingers. Use the index on the D string, middle on the G and ring on the B... you should find your fingers less cramped that way...

How long have you been playing?

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 2

05/01/2007 11:35 am
Judging from the angle of your forearm, is it possible that you play with your elbow very close to your body?

If you push your elbow a little further from the body, you should be able to have a better perpendicular positioning of your fingers on the fretboard. Also, you'll have less stress on your joints if you play long period at a time.

Your shoulder might work more but at least it a muscle and that's what it's suppose to do lol Having your elbow too close to your body forces you to compensate with your wrist joints to try to get your finger perpendicular. That over time can cause you some pains.
# 3
KirkD
KirkD
05/01/2007 3:39 pm
You are very right, I tend to have my elbow attached to my side. I'll try moving that out to see if it helps to straighten my fingers. I also never realized how much my wrist was bent until I took these pictures. Wow! The A and G are really bad. I'll see what I can do to straighten my wrist out as well.

Regarding the A chord, I've tried to place my fingers in the order you mentioned, but I can't actually fit my fingers between the frets in that order. Any time I play it in that order, I am either too far toward the head with my index finger making the D string buzz, or my ring finger falls over the fret at the other end.

I've been playing for just over a month. I'm doing self-instruction using Jamorama, this web site, and GuitarNoise.com. Things are going well, but obviously mechanics are taking a hit. Thanks goodness for digital cameras. 8^)

-Kirk
# 4
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
05/01/2007 4:56 pm
as ren said...well it all takes time getting used to the position of ur fingers and not screwing up the other strings involved..but you'll get used to it...as with anything else..keep on at it!
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.