new here, question.

christheone
christheone
11/30/2007 9:53 am
hey everyone, I'm new to this website.

I've been playing guitar for about 2 years, and bass for 3. I used to take some bass lessons, but that was a couple years ago.

At the moment I am to poor for face to face lessons, I'm surprised I even had enough for this website.

I don't know if anyone would be willing to help me out, but I've been having trouble learning from the lessons on this site... I mean I can find things, but it takes digging, lots of it.

I was wondering if there is anyone who could help me out by pming me weekly with a lesson plan that they could create for me. I'd like to start with the basics of theory etc. I don't really know much theory... I've been sitting here playing around with c major scale... thats about it... I'm kind of slow when it comes to understanding the subject... There are many things I'd like to learn, theory, techniques, songs, etc.

I don't know if it helps but all I really know how to do are a few chords (don't even know the names), a c major scale ( don't really know much about the construction of scales etc.), power chords, and I can pick up on a few songs here and there... everything else I've been doing is stuff I've made up...

Thanks alot for the help guys,

Yours truly,
Chris
# 1
looneytunes
looneytunes
11/30/2007 1:33 pm
I am of the old school. Well, because I’m old. I personally believe if someone wants something bad enough, they will work to get it. I don’t know your financial situation, but I do know there are a lot of people on this site who are willing to go out of their way to help, but you will need the will to help yourself and work very hard.

I personally believe, if you want to learn you will earn the money needed for one-on-one lessons. I hope this doesn’t discourage you, but motivate you!

Check out www.jaybuckley.com

Good luck!
# 2
christheone
christheone
12/01/2007 12:44 am
it's a little complicated, I am 16 in foster care, trying to get back in school because im 3 years behind... right now earning money is a bit out of the question... to many other things that need to be done
# 3
looneytunes
looneytunes
12/01/2007 2:08 am
Originally Posted by: christheoneit's a little complicated, I am 16 in foster care, trying to get back in school because im 3 years behind... right now earning money is a bit out of the question... to many other things that need to be done

Check out; www.jamorama.com
6 free lessons
# 4
michaelferris
michaelferris
12/19/2007 1:41 am
Wow, well, if you have any specific questions on the guitar, you can feel free to ask me. I know quite a little bit about a thing or two. The question is, what are you having difficulty with? As far as a lesson plan is concerned, there are a great deal of things that you could do, yet the important thing to know is.... What would you like to be able to do? What style, what would you like to play on the guitar?
# 5
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/19/2007 6:33 am
Originally Posted by: michaelferrisWow, well, if you have any specific questions on the guitar, you can feel free to ask me. I know quite a little bit about a thing or two. The question is, what are you having difficulty with? As far as a lesson plan is concerned, there are a great deal of things that you could do, yet the important thing to know is.... What would you like to be able to do? What style, what would you like to play on the guitar?

My advice is to use a book from the library and see what kind of curriculum they follow. Then use this site to help you learn the things you want to learn.

Use the search feature and check out the individual instructor tutorials and you'll gradually lean the stuff you need to know.

The Guitar Tricks site is currently putting together a curriculum that follows a certain logical progression and should be ready in the near future. As well as a newly designed video player that should also make things easier.

We're definitely working towards making this site easier to navigate....It's just a matter of time while we organize all the other features.
# 6
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
12/20/2007 10:17 am
Yeh it took me about 2 months as a full access subscriber for things to begin sinking in.. lol.. I'd get home from work and "watch" a few videos and read a few tutorials.. but I never have actually sat there and done the lesson properly.. Now that everything is sinking in, music makes a heck of a lot more sense.. lol.. before it was just pure emotion and playing-by-ear.. now it is still that plus the added bonus of knowing what the heck I am doing.. lol

but seriously.. You need to understand the Chromatic Scale, that is the scale that has ALL the notes in it. The C Major scale is only 7 notes (or 8 if you include the note that is exactly one octave higher than that starting note). The Chromatic scale has 12 (13 if you include the note that is exactly one octave higher than that starting note). That's a whole other 5 notes!!!

The Chromatic scale starting on an "A":
1<=------A-----=>Root/Tonic
2<=------A#----=>Minor 2nd
3<=------B-----=>Major 2nd
4<=------C-----=>Minor 3rd
5<=------C#----=>Major 3rd
6<=------D-----=>Perfect 4th
7<=------D#----=>Diminished 5th
8<=------E-----=>Perfect 5th
9<=------F-----=>Minor 6th
10<=------F#----=>Major 6th
11<=------G-----=>Minor 7th
12<=------G#----=>Major 7th

Now.. you will want to have a look at lessons about "Intervals" or look at them again while considering the above chromatic scale. When they teach about intervals they talk about Whole Steps (WP) and Half Steps (HS). The above scale is all Half Steps between each note. A Half Step is equivalent to ONE fret on your guitar. When they talk about Whole Steps, they are talking about moving TWO frets. A Whole Step in relation to the chromatic scale above would move 2 notes, either up or down the scale.

Sooo.. now when they say that the Major Scale is made up of the following "Interval Pattern": WS, WS, HS, WS, WS, WS, HS.. what they mean should make more sense. Without knowledge of the "in-between" notes.. the other notes don't make a lot of sense by themselves. Let's take a look at two Major scales.. I'll pick C Major (because it's easy to write out and you already know it) and G Major (because it is just as easy to write out.. lol..):

C Major Scale
C <=-- Root --=>
Whole Step
D <=-- Major 2nd
Whole Step
E <=-- Major 3rd
Half Step
F <=-- Perfect 4th
Whole Step
G <=-- Perfect 5th
Whole Step
A <=-- Major 6th
Whole Step
B <=-- Major 7th
Half Step
C <=-- Octave (Root)

G Major Scale
G <=-- Root --=>
Whole Step
A <=-- Major 2nd
Whole Step
B <=-- Major 3rd
Half Step
C <=-- Perfect 4th
Whole Step
D <=-- Perfect 5th
Whole Step
E <=-- Major 6th
Whole Step
F# <=-- Major 7th
Half Step
G <=-- Octave (Root)

Oh heck.,. let's do the A Major scale too..

A Major Scale
A <=-- Root --=>
Whole Step
B <=-- Major 2nd
Whole Step
C# <=-- Major 3rd
Half Step
D <=-- Perfect 4th
Whole Step
E <=-- Perfect 5th
Whole Step
F# <=-- Major 6th
Whole Step
G# <=-- Major 7th
Half Step
A <=-- Octave (Root)

So you see.. that Intervals mumbo-jumbo actually does make sense.. This naming convention stuff also starts to make sense in other lessons, such as chord progressions and chord creation.

But yeh.. it really helps if you have more structure in your lesson plan.. I'm glad that GT is aware of this problem as is doing something to address it.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.