jessewakeman
jessewakeman
01/15/2008 2:35 am
What would i need to get a bone crushing sound
# 1
Superhuman
Superhuman
01/15/2008 10:32 am
A number of answers exist depending on your budget...

If you want to literally crush peoples bones with your tone then you will need a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier through a pair of 200 watt celestion loaded 4x12 cabs. However, this will be unplayable anywhere but a stadium as the cops will put you away for noise pollution if you try to crank the volume anywhere past 1 on the dial :D - Seriously, even at 1 on the dial you couldnt play this in your house and you would drown a drummer in a practice session at about 2 or 3 :eek:
Also, it will cost in the region of about $3500!

You can get good tone a lot cheaper too, what kind of budget are you working with? Are you looking for an amp, a stompbox, a head/cab combo or a digital processor or an amp modeller?
# 2
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
01/15/2008 12:42 pm
I think that if you want to play it through a standard setup of guitar and combo-amp.. the simplest answer is a pedal (aka stomp box). BOSS pedals have some good ones.. I think they even have one called Metal Zone or something like that. Then again.. for the price of 2 cheap pedals, you can get an adequate multi-effects pedal instead. Last time I bought a pedal by itself, it cost about $70. When I bought my Zoom G1X it cost about $140.

I remember when I got my first pedal, that was a BOSS DS-1 - Distortion. Simple name.. great sound.. it really changed everything. Overdriving your little practise amp is one thing but amplifying/distorting the signal before it gets to the amp is a completely different thing altogether. There are some pedals that you should buy separately, in my opinion, like the wah pedal. I've heard some decent wah's on multi-fx floor units but I've always felt that a separate one sounds better. When you get up to a louder level you can use the effects less and rely more on the amp to generate the distorted sound.. but on basic combo-amps you generally need to rely more on the effects.

When I got my first electric guitar I didn't understand how to play it.. it just didn't make sense to me at all. I could play my acoustic without even thinking.. but for some reason, playing the electric guitar made me feel different and I couldn't relate to it. I sought out a guitar teacher that I went to for several weeks until I got bored but he did teach me a couple of things and one of those was that effects do not make me a better player... it's a very important thing to remember when starting out with effects. Some of the most amazing sounds come from the most basic of setups.. a lot of the time just straight from guitar to amp to stack..
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 3
NytePhantom
NytePhantom
01/15/2008 2:04 pm
Yep. Your budget will answer that question. If you just want a pedal, the Metal Zone is decent, but a bit nasally. The Digitech Scott Ian Black-13 has seven tones in it, six of which are very good and cover a wide range of metal needs. I ebay'ed my Metal Zone when I got the Black-13.

If you want to move up a little, then a decent multi-effects processor is a better investment. The Boss GT-8, the POD XT Live, or the Digitech GNX 4. Any of these will run you between $400-500, and you can get very workable tones out of them. I bought the GNX-4 and it sounded o.k, until I bought the mfx supermodels 'Metal' pack. www.mfxsupermodels.com The models are very deep, rich, and absolutely crush - I've never gotten sounds like this out of a unit.

Most effect units or multi's sound a little thin and digital, but will work. If you want to spend a little more, say under a grand, you can, with a little searching still find decent tube head/cab combos. You won't get a Boogie or a Bogner. You can get older Carvin tube 100w heads (the X-100B model) for around $400. I owned one for a number of years and it has great distortion and versatility. You can get an older Marshall JCM 800/900 combo amp for well under a grand, and of course it has great tube tone, and 50 watts is plenty to play most small to medium size venues.

Just remember, buy something that is a great value and sounds great, not just because it has a 'name' on it. You don't have to have a Boogie or Marshall TSL to have great metal tone. Spend you money on a good guitar instead.
# 4
jessewakeman
jessewakeman
01/15/2008 6:37 pm
i already have a krank rev jr for around my house but im looking for something to push it over the edge
# 5
nathanael hale
nathanael hale
01/15/2008 10:20 pm
If you have a single-coil guitar(strat style like me)try cutting the mids on the amp,bass on 7-8 treble on 5-6 gain on 10 and use a compressor pedal.If you have a double coil,any high gain amp will do.And drop the tuning for full effect.
# 6
Superhuman
Superhuman
01/15/2008 11:08 pm
Actually, you get a much heavier tone by reducing the gain. The higher you crank the distortion the muddier & fizzier things end up getting. Ultra heavy guitar tones on most cd's have the gain between about 5.5 and 7.5 on a range of 0 to 10. You really notice the effectiveness of less gain when you start layering guitars.
If you are playing with a band you need to cut the low end out and let the bass guitar fill those frequencies in. Guitars on most cd's sound pretty empty by themselves, the power comes from the bass gutiar (usually overdriven through a tube amp) while the guitars themselves add the mids and highs.
For a guitar by itself to sound heavy you don't need much more than 6 on the bass setting - a lot of guys also go for the scooped mids which give a real early 90's thrash metal tone.
As mentioned above, the Boss pedals are great, very cheap and very reliable. Satch and Vai even used them up until recently for live and studio use. An overdrive pedal onfront of the distortion on most amps will really add some burn and boost to lead tones.
If you are looking for a modeller in the reasonable priced category I would either recommend a Digitech GNX 3 or 4 or a Boss GT-8, the Vox Tonelab is also pretty good for getting brutal tones. FOr amp it has to be either Marshall or Mesa, I love those tones and they almost always sound excellent. Beside your pickups and actual playing technique the main thing to remember is less gain = heavier tones!
# 7
nathanael hale
nathanael hale
01/16/2008 12:01 am
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanActually, you get a much heavier tone by reducing the gain. The higher you crank the distortion the muddier & fizzier things end up getting. Ultra heavy guitar tones on most cd's have the gain between about 5.5 and 7.5 on a range of 0 to 10. You really notice the effectiveness of less gain when you start layering guitars.
If you are playing with a band you need to cut the low end out and let the bass guitar fill those frequencies in. Guitars on most cd's sound pretty empty by themselves, the power comes from the bass gutiar (usually overdriven through a tube amp) while the guitars themselves add the mids and highs.
For a guitar by itself to sound heavy you don't need much more than 6 on the bass setting - a lot of guys also go for the scooped mids which give a real early 90's thrash metal tone.
As mentioned above, the Boss pedals are great, very cheap and very reliable. Satch and Vai even used them up until recently for live and studio use. An overdrive pedal onfront of the distortion on most amps will really add some burn and boost to lead tones.
If you are looking for a modeller in the reasonable priced category I would either recommend a Digitech GNX 3 or 4 or a Boss GT-8, the Vox Tonelab is also pretty good for getting brutal tones. FOr amp it has to be either Marshall or Mesa, I love those tones and they almost always sound excellent. Beside your pickups and actual playing technique the main thing to remember is less gain = heavier tones!

I have a fender strat so it's had the opposite effect on me.I get good gain from anywhere from about 8-10(with a wah as a filter).On solos it's very effective for me to have the gain at this level especially for that slicing sound.But for rhthym guitar I see where your coming from.I feel i can get a nice warm chunky sound from the aformentioned levels you where talking about.
# 8
spychocyco
spychocyco
01/16/2008 3:44 am
If you're looking for a good multi-effect pedal that's reasonably priced, you might want to check out the Digitech RP series. I've had an RP150 (about $150) for about a year now, and I love it. Got some really good sounds out of an OLP Axis knockoff that didn't have much bite to it and my Crate GT-80. With the real Axis it sounds phenomenal.

Plus, it's just really fun to play around with and see what kind of sounds you can create.

I don't know how well it would work in a live setting or with a bigger amp setup, but it rocks the heck out of my living room. :D
http://spychocyco.blogspot.com
http://www.teethofthedivine.com
# 9
jamesplaysgitar
jamesplaysgitar
01/16/2008 4:38 pm
well what do you mean by bone crushing?
ive heard acdc been called bone crushing before so yeah....
# 10
jessewakeman
jessewakeman
01/16/2008 9:36 pm
Like the bad horsie intro and like dimebags rythem
# 11
jamesplaysgitar
jamesplaysgitar
01/26/2008 7:16 pm
oh.
yeah im not sure then, i have a jhonson j station and its awesome and cheap, easy to use and everything.
# 12
jamesplaysgitar
jamesplaysgitar
01/28/2008 3:23 am
hmmm.
so i got a great new amp a few days ago, and i feel it sounds like CRAP, YET IVE SEEN PEOPLE PLAY IT AND DIAL IN AMAZING TONES!
sorry caps lock...
anyways, its got three nobs, bottom, body and edge
which are basically bass middle and treble, what should i set them at for an instensely heavy metally-goodness kinda sound?
# 13
andrewjreid
my amps go to 11
andrewjreid
my amps go to 11
01/29/2008 10:47 pm
Most of the tone ur gonna get comes from your fingers. a crappy player is a crappy player even on $10,000 worth of gear. practice everything you learn and just work on improving your tone not necessarily the amps. but a good amp and guitar do help and for a thick metal sound u'll need alot of gain but if you feel you still cant get the right sound try a boss mt-2 metal zone pedal. there might be some better ones but thats the one i like.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
-- Jimi Hendrix
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.