colorful improvising!

jamesplaysgitar
jamesplaysgitar
12/22/2008 4:29 pm
so i remember reading somewhere, that improvising with major and minor 2nds wasnt really improvising at all, it was just playing scales. (i think someone said it in an issue of guitar player?)

but i havent really tried it until a few minutes ago.
and the results were surprising.
surprising enough for me to come post it on guitar tricks.

so go try it!
i think youll find you get very different sounds than usual, just play through a few scales, but dont use a minor or major 2nd interval.

(for those of you who dont know what that is, its just a whole step or half step.)

just thought ide share...
# 1
capitalalchemy
capitalalchemy
12/22/2008 5:55 pm
Its still improvising in a way even if you are using a scale or mode in whole.

http://www.guitarticles.net
# 2
jamesplaysgitar
jamesplaysgitar
12/23/2008 6:36 am
im aware.

...?
# 3
quickfingers
quickfingers
01/02/2009 6:55 am
i've never heard of a "major or minor" 2nd; the second note of both those scales are identical. you mean half and whole steps?

i'm utterly confused on how you can consider ruling out a particular melodic step as unimprovisatory. did you mean to say something else? because otherwise, i could just say "improvisatory ideas are limited to the use of certain skips of a scale" which is obvious bafoonery.

you might have misread the text, or a magazine editor didn't catch something right.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 4
Superhuman
Superhuman
01/03/2009 11:27 pm
A little off point of the original thread here but I've had somewhat of a break through with my own playing recently. I read an article from a teacher at Berkley College where he suggested that a good way to come up with original solos was to forget about scales and keys except for the notes at the beginning and ending of phrases and important transition bars. I already know very little about theory so this idea really appealed to me. And, I must say that if you can already play by ear it really works. Now I use feel only and have started to forget about the old runs and patterns and i'm starting to get a new sound that works for me. It sounds a bit out there but to make it work you need to have your licks up to a fairly high level in the first place and more importantly you need to have a very good ear and the feel of the fretboard. I find that it takes the stress completely out of playing and my improv has just gone through the roof (I always was one for the structured approach before this where I knew what I was going to play first). Anyway, this approach helps to get one step closer to being able to play anything you want and the speed of thought (eg you think it as you play it without analysing anything). Pretty cool - give it a go before you knock it!
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.