Great guitar riffs and solos

GuitardedGeezer
GuitardedGeezer
05/14/2009 3:01 am
I've been loading up my iPhone with tons of new tunes and I'm running low on ideas for songs to download. So, I thought I would ask all my fellow guitar scholars to throw a few of your favorites my way. Just suggest your favorite song that has a great riff or a really awsome solo. I love to hear a guitar scream....or cry....or sing.....or growl........don't we all?

A song that has become one of my favorites is Mississippi Queen by Mountain. The rythm riff is so cool. Very driving with lots of growl. Really pumps me up to hear it. The lead is also awsome.

So, fire away folks........what guitar song really gets you pumped up? I mean the one where your heart rate increases and you tell everyone to shut up so you can hear your favorite part. You know the one......

GG
# 1
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
05/14/2009 8:03 am
Hey GuitardedGeezer,
"Cluster Pluck" on the Brad Paisley "Play" album, this song has James Burton, Albert Lee, Redd Volkaert, John Jorgenson, Vince Gill, Steve Wariner, and Brent Mason. Whether you're into chicken picking or not, these guys wear it out. Actually just go ahead and put the whole album on there, you won't be disappointed. It's not just country either, it's everything, it's titled right because they all play.

Then get Brent Mason "Hot wired" this is a great tune too. It will make you want to chicken pick, because Brent definitely makes that tele bite, and not just growl.

I have at least 180 guitar tunes on my player, from many genres. Everything from Jerry Reed to Randy Rhoads, and that's just my favorite stuff. Check out the Hellecasters, Danny Gatton, and I could name more if I felt like typing them. Get a listen to some of this stuff, and let me know what you think. Have a good one, and let me know when you want some other ideas.
# 2
baileydennisw
baileydennisw
05/14/2009 2:19 pm
slow ride by fog hat is a great one.espeaclly the bass kinda solo
amy by pure prarie league is also very good has vince gill in his younger days
theres nother country song from the 80's cant remeber the namemaybe someone knows it i think its tennesee flat top box it has a great acoustc picking pattern would love to learn it

those are 3 that come to mind right off the bat

dennis
# 3
KFS1972
Full Access
KFS1972
Full Access
05/14/2009 3:38 pm
When I think of growling guitar, I think of "Outshined" by SoundGarden. Slow and low and gets better the louder you play it.

My most recent obsession with fast picking is what Zac Brown does near the end of "Mary". It may not be nearly as impressive to someone who can play and play well. I can't get youtube to load for some reason but I think this is it: www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW8w11gs068. The whole song is good if you like that kind of music but at about the 1:30 mark is what I am talking about.

Dire Strait's "Sultans of Swing" doesn't have a solo break like a lot of songs but is good all the way thru with a bit of a solo toward the end.

And I always like the way Aerosmith's "Moving Out" starts. At least I think that's the name.
# 4
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
05/14/2009 5:19 pm
maybe someone knows it i think its tennesee flat top box it has a great acoustc picking pattern would love to learn it.

Dennis you got the name right, and it was recorded by Rosanne Cash. That acoustic part isn't that hard to learn. I think they capoed at the 4th fret and played a C progression, so it's actually the key of E but with a capo.

My most recent obsession with fast picking is what Zac Brown does near the end of "Mary". It may not be nearly as impressive to someone who can play and play well. I can't get youtube to load for some reason but I think this is it: www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW8w11gs068. The whole song is good if you like that kind of music but at about the 1:30 mark is what I am talking about.

Hey KFS1972,
That whole album is a blast, I like the picking on "It's not OK" too. I'm almost sure Brent Mason is picking that tele.

Dire Strait's "Sultans of Swing" doesn't have a solo break like a lot of songs but is good all the way thru with a bit of a solo toward the end

Mark Knophler is a great picker too, and he used hybrid picking on that one. You should check out the stuff he recorded with Chet Atkins. He has also penned quite a few country hits, but they were mostly recorded by other artist.

Joe Perry is another great guitar player, had the pleasure of picking a couple of tunes with him at a music store in Nashville once. He and Tyler were picking up a few things, when they played a concert there in the early 90s.

Well, I could spend all day on this one, but I have to do some work too. Have a good one, and keep loading that Ipod.
# 5
GuitardedGeezer
GuitardedGeezer
05/14/2009 10:52 pm
This is great! I checked out all the songs everyone named and even found some others on the same albums/artists that were really cool too. For instance, Cliffs of Rock City/Brad Paisley and Strat Strut/Brent Mason.

I had forgotton all about Foghat.....wound up downloading a whole album. Love "Third Time Lucky" along with your Slow Ride.

How about some with funky/rock'n'roll strum patterns
like Shambala/Three Dog Night or When the Bullet Hits the Bone/Golden Earring?

Or for you pickin fans..the intro and exit on I'm Winning/Steve Winwood?

Or, how about some involuntary air guitar spasms with Cherry Bomb/Joan Jett?

I get those same spasms with solo on "I'd Lie For You(and that's the truth)/Meatloaf.

Thanks for all your suggestions folks, keep 'em comming.

GG
# 6
caponi14
caponi14
05/14/2009 11:05 pm
Hey man!

Go for these:
1. Slash's snakepit ''Speed parade'' (you will love the riff)
2. Guns N Roses ''don't damn me'' (the entire song owns)
3. Slash's snakepit ''Cure me or kill me'' (you will love the riff, it kills!)
4. Joe Satriani ''Summer song'' (not my style, but it's what i like to call a roller)
5. Poisonblack ''Rush'' (it may be hard to find, but it's worth it)
6. Megadeth ''Symphony of destruction''
7. Guns N Roses ''Aint it fun'' (awesome solos)
8. Bob Seger ''Her strut'' (one of my favorite licks occur in this one''
9. Joan Jett ''I love rock n roll'' (it's a classic!)
10. Lenny kravitz feat Saul Hudson (Slash) ''Always on the run''
11. Pink Floyd ''Money'' (Best solo played in alot of guys opinion, at least from those i have heard)
12. The rolling stones ''Gimme shelter'' (it's a classic!)
13. Velvet revolver ''Dirty little thing'' (my favorite solo)

Thats a nice list of songs in my own opinion, try them out and see if you like them.

Keep on rocking!
# 7
JeffS65
JeffS65
05/15/2009 2:03 am
Blackfoot - Train, Train
Allman Brothers - Whippin' Post
Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover
Lynch Mob - Wicked Sensation
Albert Lee - Country Boy
AC/DC - Hells Bells
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
The Who -Won't Get Fooled Again
Alice in Chains - Anything from Facelift
Great White - Face the Day (or even the original Angels/Angel City version)
Scorpions - Blackout or Can't Live Without You (Mathias Jabs had great fills)
# 8
Superhuman
Superhuman
05/15/2009 10:13 am
'Rust in Peace' by Megadeth - easily their best album with some really amazing and interesting guitar playing. Just make sure you don't get the remastered version, the oiginal is wayyyyyy better.
# 9
JeffS65
JeffS65
05/16/2009 12:50 am
Originally Posted by: Superhuman'Rust in Peace' by Megadeth - easily their best album with some really amazing and interesting guitar playing. Just make sure you don't get the remastered version, the oiginal is wayyyyyy better.

I was listening to Holy Wars just yesterday. Man, 'Rust' was such a butt kicker of a disc.
# 10
GuitardedGeezer
GuitardedGeezer
05/19/2009 12:15 am
absolutly fantastic. I was really hoping this thread would find me a few new songs, but it's done far more than that. Thanks folks for your lists and suggestions. I've downloaded nearly every single one. On some, like Joe Satriani, I had never heard of before but downloaded the whole album. I found alot of new favorites. Thanks again!

GG
# 11
jazzn01
jazzn01
05/19/2009 7:17 pm
Allman Brothers - Whipping Post - Mountain Jam
Outlaws - Green Grass & High Tides (my personal favorite)
# 12
ren
ren
05/19/2009 9:38 pm
The Mystical Potato Head Groove thing and The Extremist by Joe Satriani... what a groove

Little Wing - Hendrix, but the SRV instrumental version can almost make this grown man weep...

Anything by Ritchie Kotzen for some 'out there' playing

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 13
Gvin
Gvin
05/20/2009 7:34 pm
1. Metallica - Fade To Black. - awesome electric guitar solo in the beginning.
2. Green Day - Time Of Your Life
3. Sunrise Avenue - Fairy Tale Gone Bad (acoustic version).

4. Tommy Emmanuel - Angelina - have a look! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhR04kmcSXU

Well... that's what I like. Maybe you will like it too :)
tabtown.com - here I find tabs
klimka.com - here I live :)
# 14
K2BT
K2BT
05/22/2009 4:07 pm
One way out- Allman Bros, Duane Allman and Dickey Betts sound real good on this one
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson SG Special
Marshall MA50 Head
Peavey Penta Full Stack Amp
Peavey Windsor Half-Stack
Boss GT-10 Guitar Processor
Springfield 1911 - 45cal to protect investment

K2BT- my amateur(ham) radio call sign
# 15
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
05/22/2009 11:21 pm
Originally Posted by: K2BTOne way out- Allman Bros, Duane Allman and Dickey Betts sound real good on this one

This is a great song with some great picking, and also slide guitar on it. It's one of my favorite Allman Brothers songs, and I even perform this one in some of my shows.

Check out some Danny Gatton, Jerry Reed, Albert Lee, and I could name a hundred more. I'll stop for now though, and say have a great Memorial Day weekend.
# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.