Terminology

GuitardedGeezer
GuitardedGeezer
08/14/2009 1:07 am
Noob question - Can anyone tell me what the difference is, if any, between a "hook" a "riff" a "lick" and a "chop".

They all seem to be used interchangeably to me, meaning a short series of notes or chords......is there some nuances I'm missing?

thanks in advance

GG
# 1
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
08/14/2009 8:26 am
Hey GuitardedGeezer,
I'm thinking they all mean pretty much the same thing, I refer to a hook when writing songs though. In songwriting it's the line, or idea that really catches the ear, or summarizes what the song is about.

A lick, riff, or chop would be how I refer to a pattern of notes I put together to make up a solo.

That's my take on it, and I hope this helps you.
# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
08/15/2009 11:38 pm
Originally Posted by: GuitardedGeezerNoob question - Can anyone tell me what the difference is, if any, between a "hook" a "riff" a "lick" and a "chop".

They all seem to be used interchangeably to me, meaning a short series of notes or chords......is there some nuances I'm missing?

thanks in advance

GG

In all, they are kinda interchangable.

It's funny how people do sort of see or think differently about definitions like these. I assign more specific things to them. Moral: Make 'em what you want :D

My version:

[U]Hook:[/U] A portion of a song that grabs your ear. It's the 'money' part of the song that will get everyone listening. Hooks can be instrument oriented or part of the overall song like a chorus. Example - Pink Floyd's songs The Wall, the 'We don't need no education' portion is a hook.

[U]Riff:[/U] A group of notes or chords that when put together can make a hook or a section that, when repeated, becomes central to the rhythm of the song. Example - AC/DC with Whole Lotta Rosie has an opening riff that is central to the whole song.

[U]Lick:[/U] Can be repeated or stand alone but is also a group of notes that can be a riff or part of a solo. Example - Ace Frehley's outro solo on Rock n Roll All Night live are very tasty licks.

[U]Chops:[/U] Denotes the ability to play. Example - 'Boy he can play, he has really good chops.'

That's my two pennies, anyway. Don't know why my brain gravitates towards such specific things but, oh well...just me I guess...hehe.
# 3
GuitardedGeezer
GuitardedGeezer
08/16/2009 1:09 am
I think my brain does the same. I figured there HAD to be some difference. I guess I'm looking at Music Theory as a science instead of an art.

Still good stuff to know, and now I can act like I know what I'm talking about.

Thanks to both you Gents.

GG
# 4
Jason_Dionne
Jason_Dionne
08/16/2009 3:37 am
Hook - no clue

Lick- would be some lead part in a 8 bar length for example.

Riff - is a rythm section, just like a lick, same principle.

Chop - chops are the ability of your clean playing.
# 5
Guitarmomof3
Guitarmomof3
08/20/2009 9:40 pm
This is all new to me. I have only been playing since March when I bought my guitar. My dad always played jams on weekends and some weekdays. I would sit and listen to them play. I never learned what the terms were. I have been able to pick up playing at an easier rate because of being around it all my life.

I am clueless on making my guitar do more than just hit strings to make notes and cords. I have a hard time using both hands at the same time. I can play songs that are in the beginner book, but that is it.
# 6
Guitarmomof3
Guitarmomof3
08/20/2009 9:46 pm
Hay all thanks I just read on and am going to start with the basic course again since I do not remember it all.
# 7
ryantan
ryantan
08/21/2009 12:53 am
I didn't know about licks and chops till this post. I guess I have alot to learn.
Thank you for the replies folks.
# 8
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/08/2009 7:45 pm
Here is how it applies to me and my musical experience.

Hook - this is the main part of the song and the most significant part that you recognize. This doesn't need to be guitar exclusively, but here are some examples of guitar "hooks."

Intro to "Sweet Home Alabama"
Main guitar part of "Smoke on the Water"
Verse guitar part in "Message in a Bottle"
Main guitar part in "Enter Sandman:

The list is endless. Again, the "hook" is the most defining part of the song that people can hear just a snippet of and can recognize that it's a certain song.

Lick - to me this applies to soloing and is a lead guitar part that is characteristic to a certain player. A lick doesn't have to be the defining part of a song, but can be defining to a certain player and/or style. You will often hear, "play some blues licks" or "play a lick in the style of Jeff Beck." Again, to me this applies to lead guitar playing. Some may disagree.

Riff - a riff is a rhythm guitar part that has a vocal like quality and is not part of a solo per say. Here are some examples of some riffs. The riff can serve as the "hook" of a song, but a song can consist of many, many riffs.

Intro to "Mississippi Queen"
Main guitar part in "Noone Knows" (Queens of the Stone Age)
Nearly everything heard in "Black Dog"

Hopefully you get the point. A riff is part of a rhythm guitar part, played on lower strings and can be used as the "hook" of the song just as easily.

Chop - Not sure about this. I have never heard of a chop within a song or in relation to this idea. You will often hear sayings like "that player has great chops", referring to someone's high level of playing ability. I would say this phrase doesn't play into this context at all. "Guitar Chops" are often referred to someone's level of playing.

Hopefully this makes sense. Feel free to post more questions and good luck!
Douglas Showalter
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.