Just Playing

duck7264
duck7264
01/13/2013 12:39 am
Whats Up All,

This is just a generic kind of question so... Is there anything wrong with not knowing how to play a song? I've been playing about 1 1/2 years now (rekindled from a teen) and I have not learned or bothered to learn one song. I work alot on soloing, scales, and just basically trying to learn all I can about playing guitar, but, no songs, not one. Is there something wrong with this? Please, anyone who would like to interject.

Thanks,
Duck
# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
01/13/2013 3:29 am
Originally Posted by: duck7264Whats Up All,

This is just a generic kind of question so... Is there anything wrong with not knowing how to play a song? I've been playing about 1 1/2 years now (rekindled from a teen) and I have not learned or bothered to learn one song. I work alot on soloing, scales, and just basically trying to learn all I can about playing guitar, but, no songs, not one. Is there something wrong with this? Please, anyone who would like to interject.

Thanks,
Duck

Playing is supposed to be enjoyable so what floats the boat is ok, I think.

I would say that playing other peoples songs can teach you much about songs writing, structure, rules and how to break them and most importantly > Timing.

When I was much younger in my 'serious' days, I avoided learning songs. Learned a riff here and there but wasn't all that excited about playing a song, all the way through just sitting at the end of my bed. I wanted to get my technique down and all that.

Got in a band and my song leaning laziness was a hinderence. It was much more trouble for me to learn a song than the other guitar player. Learning a song connects your ear to notes, patterns and such. It's good training.

I'd say, grab a song or two here at GT just to work a few out.

It's not wrong to not learn songs. Really, playing is about what you want. However, there is a small price to pay.
# 2
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
01/13/2013 3:35 am
Lots of people will tell you "yes, you need to learn other people's songs" but I don't think so... Jimmy Page used to sit and listen to records and play along with his guitar, learning every song he could. The Edge, from U2, really didn't learn a bunch of songs but rather learned to play by jamming with the other band members, who were also learning. Two very different guitarists; two very different approaches. If you're improvising to jam tracks or writing and possibly recording your own music and are happy with that, then more power to you. If you want to learn specific songs, or sound like a specific player, then of course, you'll need to learn other people's music. Also, learning songs is a great way to absorb ideas and riffs that can enhance your own playing & writing.

If you love to play guitar, but hate learning songs, then don't bother, just have fun creating your own music. If you'd like to learn songs, but feel you "aren't good enough" or something, just pick something easy, learn it, and see how you like it.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.