Tuning Pegs

duck7264
duck7264
01/31/2013 4:32 pm
Hey All,

I am looking to upgrade the tuners on my Fender Tele MIM. I was wondering if there are any out there that just fit right into the hole that is already there or if I am going to have to drill any new holes? I really don't want to drill, but... Also, can anyone tell me what diameter is the exsisting hole in the headstock. Thanks to all.

Duck
# 1
Mike51
Mike51
02/01/2013 2:55 pm
Have you tried looking at Stewart McDonald. http://www.stewmac.com/

It's the first place most people go for quality replacement parts. I'm partial to Grovers. Their website also provides schematics for the tuning machines so you know the hole size needed or you can match. I've never called in so I don't know if the person on the other end of the line will be able to tell you straight off which tuners to pick up that will fit your Tele.

As for the size of the hole? Best to measure yourself with a steel rule marked off in 32'ds (1/32 of an inch) on one side and mm (millimeters) on the other. You'll want such a tool for setting up your guitar anyway.

You shouldn't have to widen the peg hole you already have. You might or might not have to drill a very tiny hole for the hold down screw that secures the tuner on the headstock. Hopefully not.

At the end of the day, quality tuners will help you stay in tune.

Best of luck
# 2
broxom
Full Access
broxom
Full Access
02/02/2013 5:24 pm
I've replaced the tuning pegs on several MIM Stratocasters with slotted tuning pegs that are standard on many Fender guitars. This style of tuner features a slot where one puts the string end into then by turning the key the slot engages the string. These are the style you'll see on old Fender guitars and they are my favorites as they hold tuning well and string changes are easy. Plus if you ever have to remove the strings to work on the guitar you can reuse the string. Not so with locking style tuners. You can purchase these from Musicians Friend (SKU 361332000000000) or your local Fender dealer. These come as a set and are easy to install. You will not have to drill holes for the tuner shaft(s). They are held in place by 7 small screws so you will need to drill holes for these screws. You'll want to be careful as the screws between the tuners actually hold two tuning keys in place. Once in place, no one will notice the difference. You can go to your local music store and look at some Fender guitars with this style of tuner.

By the way these MIM standard Fenders are great guitars for the money.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.