Light weight electric - suggestions?

Viviana Preston
Viviana Preston
03/27/2013 2:13 pm
Hello all,

I need some suggestions. I am looking to buy a light weight electric guitar. I have a solid body Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro that I am very happy with. But I must confess, the damn thing is a bit too heavy for me when I play for a long time. I'm tiny. Think Billy Joe Armstrong tiny. :) So... I'd really love to have a lighter guitar that I could feel more comfortable with. I'm not looking for something terribly expensive, just fair quality and the right weight. Of course, I'd be trying stuff out in a music shop, but I'd also like other suggestions on what models are lighter weight from your knowledge. I'm considering an SG maybe?

Thanks
# 1
Mike_x1x
Mike_x1x
03/27/2013 3:01 pm
Originally Posted by: Viviana PrestonHello all,

I need some suggestions. I am looking to buy a light weight electric guitar. I have a solid body Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro that I am very happy with. But I must confess, the damn thing is a bit too heavy for me when I play for a long time. I'm tiny. Think Billy Joe Armstrong tiny. :) So... I'd really love to have a lighter guitar that I could feel more comfortable with. I'm not looking for something terribly expensive, just fair quality and the right weight. Of course, I'd be trying stuff out in a music shop, but I'd also like other suggestions on what models are lighter weight from your knowledge. I'm considering an SG maybe?

Thanks

Hi Viviana,

I have a Epi SG400 and while it is a realy nice sounding guitar I find it very neck heavy, I usually play it sat down as every time I let go of the neck it nose dives. I seen forums where they alter strap positions etc but mainly its "live with it".

I also have a MiM Fender Stat and its a joy to play, feels like half the weight of the SG ( it is smaller). Depends if you want single coils or Humbuckers I guess compared to a SG?. ( not a expert in any way or form)

As a "budget" guitar the MiM Fender is one hell of a lot of guiater for not a hell of a lot of money. I have seen lots of for and against comments about MiM as opposed to MIA but, best advice is try them both. Personally the MiM was , for me the best Guitar I could afford.

On the SG front I wonder if Gibsons are as neck heavy as the Epi is? maybe worth a look.

Anyway, best of luck finding your ideal.
Mike
# 2
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
03/27/2013 4:38 pm
Originally Posted by: Viviana PrestonI'm considering an SG maybe?

Weight was not a reason to purchase my SG, but once I got it home, I couldn't help but notice how light it is. Lightest guitar I own by feel anyway.

I do not find it neck heavy (Gibson Std model), but you may find the 'reach" further. Due to strap button being on the body instead of over the 16th fret, the guitar hangs further to the left.

Strats are nice and light (you can chuck in some Hot Rails if you prefer HB sound), but, being petite, you might not like the longer scale.

Maybe a semi-solid guitar in the Epi or Gibson line?
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 3
JCat55
JCat55
04/13/2013 9:57 am
Hi Viviana,

Since I am a Tele fanatic, I have to recommend those due to my bias. Most are pretty light weight, the Thinlines are very light. You can get a Squier or Modern Player version pretty inexpensively. These are foreign made Fenders but are very decent guitars for the money - less than $300. Besides being light weight, they also have nice thin necks...very playable! Fair warning - try a Tele and you may be spoiled for all other types of guitars... I have 2 so far, but always looking for another one. Good hunting!
Judge a band by the guitars they keep. If there are no Telecasters in play,move on.
# 4
2gross4u
2gross4u
04/27/2013 2:25 pm
I agree with Jcat55, Telecasters are nice guitars. You can grab the Fender Modern Player with a neck Tele pickup, a middle position strat pickup and a bridge humbucher for $399 or for around $249 to $299 you can get A Squier by Fender with dual humbuckers- if you prefer that humbucker sound. I do have a Squier Tele Custom with dual P90 pickups and I really like the guitar alot. If I could only buy just one guitar, however, I would chosse a Gibson SG with humbuckers. There are a lot of good deals on pre-2013 Gibsons out there right now (it seems Gibson wants the older stuff off the shelves) but as far as the 2013 Gibson models I'd seriously consider the new Gibson SG-J (with 490 and 498 pickups for that "famous" Gibson Sound) and selling new for only $599-order one from a place like Musician's Friend (online) and pay no tax and no shipping OR go to your nearest Guitar Center (owned by the same company as Musician's Friend) and point out the lesser cost by ordering it from MF and 9.5 times out of ten GC will send you out the door with that SG for $599 total. Good Luck-Jim
# 5
fuzzb0x
fuzzb0x
04/29/2013 9:50 pm
I bought an Epiphone Wilshire which is a really nice light guitar
# 6
pattyb5
pattyb5
05/03/2013 6:16 pm
Hi,

I can understand your concern. I have a "heavier" strat. I love the guitar but it is a bit heavy. In my case, I didn't want to ditch the guitar so.....

I invested in a very wide, padded leather, levi's strap. I swear it makes the guitar feel 2 lbs. lighter. Just an idea if you don't want to give it up just because of its weight.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XPRT42/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
# 7
ShortBtwnHdset
ShortBtwnHdset
05/04/2013 12:28 am
Hi Vivianna!

If your looking to keep the same scale length (24.75", I believe), and stay with a hard-tail bridge, I would look at LP clones with the body routing to save weight. Many higher end or custom shops make them, you'll just have to do some research. PRS uses routed body's, if I'm not mistaken.The SG suggested or some clone would probably do nicely, also, but will have a little different tone, as there is no heavy maple top.

If your willing to change scale (25.5"), and want the same general woods in the build, look at the Ibanez s and prestige series. They offer models both with hard-tail and trem. My s-470 dqxm is the most comfortable body I've ever played, sculpted and light but has a great tone. Of course, it doesn't look as gorgeous as a premium LP flame top, but not to far from it. It will take me a while to get the hang of my tremolo, though ("it's so easy, even a cave man can do it", yeah, right!!!).

Good luck!
# 8
Stringybark
Stringybark
05/04/2013 9:53 pm
I would try the Yamaha Pacifica range. Very light guitars. I'm now leaning heavily towards one of these guitars because of the value and quality the present for money, and because they are very light.

Check out their reviews on Youtube and elsewhere. Yamaha is really the forgotten gem among the bigger names.
The accidental guitarist.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.