How to tune that Floyd Rose

Stringybark
Stringybark
05/12/2013 4:02 am
I struck it lucky again ( I should buy a lottery ticket!) by learning how to tune the Floyd Rose on my used and bargain priced ESP :D

It was of course out of tune when I picked it up yesterday. I figured since I had nothing to lose until I drop the guitar at a technicians shop later next week, I might as well get to know the beast a bit better.

I assume that all was good with the setup generally and the only problem was the string tuning ( OK, maybe they need replacing but I have no idea of that since they look good...).

A search of the magical internet dragged up this bit of advice:
Let's assume the trem springs don't need adjustment since it was in tune when you started. Unlock all strings on the locknut. Set all the fine tuning screws to the middle of each (halfway in). Put in the trembar. Start with the low E and tune it while holding the trem bar in the neutral (parallel to the body) position. Use the tuning machines to tune - not the fine tuners. Keeping the bar and trem in the same place move on to A, D, etc. This should get you close and the trem should float by the time you get to the high E. Go back to the low E. It will be out of tune. See if it is sharp or flat, and check the rest without tuning. If they are all flat then tune the low E up to F#, then the A to A# and tune the rest to pitch. If they are all sharp, then tune the low E 1 step flat, the A 1/2 step flat and proceed to tune the rest. When you tune go back to the E and A you will find they are close to being in tune. At this point all strings should tune to pitch using the machines, lock the locknut and use the fine tuners.
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/cant-tune-floyd-rose-33655.html

I did as instructed ( except the part about the trem bar since mine has lost it), and hey presto! I worked!

Now my Cm, Gm and D chord practices are sounding almost musical :D
The accidental guitarist.
# 1
Stringybark
Stringybark
05/12/2013 7:52 am
Even so! I shall fix that Floyd Rose trem by this very simple method
http://youtu.be/xkj8p4Z3Rjg

Can't wait to do it and change strings at the same time :D
The accidental guitarist.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.